Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello, I inherited a problem with a handful of polycom ip 550 phones.

A business I work with was using a local VOIP provider that really had no clue what they were doing, so he threw them out, and asked me to come in and try to clean up their mess.  When I came in, all of the phones were not operational except one that had not been touched by this provider.  I was able to set it up in standalone mode and have it working great with a temporary Elastix server in the cloud..

The other phones were sitting at the desks in an endless loop.  I put the phones in standalone mode using the instructions in the setup guide (as I did with the phone that worked, and they seem to boot like they are supposed to, but when they load the configuration that this company put into the phones, the screen freezes and the reboot process starts over.

I cannot get to the web access for any of the phones, and I cannot get the menu from the phones to work as the phone freezes before those buttons become available.  The phones are accessing the network and pulling the correct IP addresses form a DHCP server.  I think that it is a bad configuration file causing the issue because I can see the old extension number in the frozen screen.

I did a factory reset, holding down the 4 phone keys on bootup, but that does not clear the configuration from the provider.

Is there any way to truly wipe out the config from the phones themselves in standalone mode to get rid of the bogus config files that I believe are locking these things up?  I cannot seem to do anything except enter setup mode where my choices are limited.

The phone I brought home with me is running version 4.1.1.  I would think there would be a simple way to do this like most of the other phones I work with have, but I cannot figure it out!  HELP!

Thanks,

Scott

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello Scott,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

By the sounds of it the Phone is running some sort of SIP 3.x.x Software as the Version you quoted is the BootROM.

The community's VoIP => FAQ <= contains this post here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I setup my Phone / Provisioning / Download / Upgrade / Update / Downgrade Software?
Resolution: Please check => here <=

Simply follow the above and update the phones to UCS 4.0.5 (If used with a SIP server) and then program them.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.