Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Greetings - thanks in advance for your time

I am working on provisioning a set of devices (vvx-400 at this point) and was looking to have

a master/common managed Directory that the devices would get and update from. 

From the Administrator's guide I was going with :

The phones feature a contact directory file you can use to store frequently used contacts as a template
contact directory file named 000000000000-directory~.xml included with the UC Software download.
You can use this file to create a per-phone directory file based on the phone’s MAC address
<MACaddress>-directory.xml. Changes users make to the contact directory from the phone are stored
on the phone drive and uploaded to the provisioning server in <MACaddress>-directory.xml, which
enables you to preserve a contact directory during reboots. You can also create a global directory file that
phones read when you remove the tilde (~) from the template file name 000000000000-directory.xml.
Note that the phones look for and use a 000000000000-directory.xml file only when you first boot the
phone out of the box or when you reset the phone to factory default settings
as shown in the section
Reset the Phone to Defaults.

###

Using the provisioning server and no supporting links or tools to copy a master -> Seems there is

no "out of the box" means for having one / master /rule them all directory file.

There are the options for central directories (LDAP) but looks like that could take more licenses. IS that 
correct?

Could do some 'magic'  and use a master 000000000000-directory.xml with some force factory
reset of the machines (*would want to confirm what all is needed for that). Then once phone reconfigured
to provisioning server they get the file.  

OR could do some scripts to copy/link to 000000000000-directory.xml and reboot phones (I did a test
       where I updated the file for one for the phones I am testing with).

Any feedback / pointers / OR additional input / education is appreciated

IF  I need to add more details or provide more information let me know.

Thanks 
CB

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello CB,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Jan 6, 2012 Question: How can I create a local directory or what is the 000000000000-directory.xml used for?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

and

Jan 30, 2012 Question: Can I use a central Phone book or is LDAP / Corporate Directory supported?

and

Mar 08, 2013 QuestionWhat files does my phone download or upload and why?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Steffen, thanks for the details.

I have returned to this task after I did review your notes/message/feedback
and had a few other items come up.  This seems in line with what I had come to know.

It does not get to the a solution for dynamic updates to the phones with a provisioning
server.  

I am working on provisioning a set of devices (vvx-400 at this point) and was looking to have

a master/common managed Directory that the devices would get and update from.

Using the provisioning server and no supporting links or tools to copy a master -> Seems there is

no "out of the box" means for having one / master /rule them all directory file.

There are the options for central directories (LDAP) but looks like that could take more licenses. IS that
correct?

Could do some 'magic'  and use a master 000000000000-directory.xml with some force factory
reset of the machines (*would want to confirm what all is needed for that). Then once phone reconfigured
to provisioning server they get the file.  

OR could do some scripts to copy/link to 000000000000-directory.xml and reboot phones (I did a test
       where I updated the file for one for the phones I am testing with).

The issue would be when a phone is newly provisioned it would get the most recent variant of the
directory file (000000000000-directory.xml).  As new entries are made or the file updated, new phones
would get the updates.  Phones that had been set up and running and potentially making unique local
updates (or just having had gottne the initial 000000000000-directory.xml) would *not* get the updates.

I may be missing something but there seems no solution, sans the 'magic'/scripts ..., to keep a master/current/updated resource in place that would add to the phones as needed.  

Specifically, if a phone gets provisioned (the 000000000000-directory.xml loaded) it would have that point  in time view :: As it evolves/runs it uploads it's MAC-directory.xml (correct?) ::
   -->  ??  How to update that phone IF new entries are made to the master view (?? 000000000000-directory.xml) and keep any dynamic/local/unique phone changes? What is the plan that Polycom has for changes?

I do not have any windows machines running in this system.  I do not seem to
find Productivity Suite as an application to get more details.  I looked on the
main site at=http://www.polycom.com/products-services/resources/products-services-a-z.html#P

Let me know if I need to add more details OR if the question/need makes sense AND then what solution
or resource(s) could provide the services.

Thanks again for your time

HP Recommended

Hello CB,

as already mentioned in the LDAP FAQ post:

• Free Site License (excluding VQMon) can be found => here <=.

The 000000000000-directory.xml is only loaded once when the phone is factory reset.

If this file exist on the initial bootup the phone will load it initially and any subsequent reboots will only look for the <mac>-directory.xml.

Any local changes made to the phones Phone Book will also be uploaded via the individual <mac>-directory.xml.

This is day one behavior and a change to this would need to be requested via your Polycom sales engineer. You could quote Accept 360: #63308

There are several different scripts that could maybe be combined into one to archive what you are after => here <=

As you are not running Windows machines you could utilize something like OpenLDAP on a linux box.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I continue to work on this -- have some initial success with the MAC-directory.xml file and making it read-only

on the server -- likely not ideal nor recommended but the first tack on it worked for what I need at the start.

I post this message as I am also working on the provisioning of these devices (and customer wants to get more if all works out) and am starting with the configuration and .cfg files.  I have a few base questions and looking to evolve this from had written .cfg files uploaded to the test phone to final set on a provisioning server.   

A) I am in a  repeat loop of : 'Factory reset phone'   THEN 'Upload configuration file'.

First issue here I find is that I update the reg.x.auth.password="${passwd}" the first .cfg file I upload and

it does not take (the registration does but not the password --- I have to use a browser to update post  upload).  What

is missing?  I also added an entry for reg.x.auth.useLoginCredentials="1"  with no success on import.

Weirdly I have to browse to the phone, 'Disable' Authentication -- then enter the same password as in the .cfg file and save ---  the phone Then successfully registers (but *not* on Import of the .cfg file that has the same details).

B) Goal to get the line (or for testing (2) lines registered and displayed on the phone ) AND then space out the rest of the lines

to the VVX Color Expansion Module to display details for a front desk user watch of staff phones.

Specifically, want to register the front desk to line 1 and then on the module show the status (Presense or BLF ) of others.

I have run trials with a mixture of <lineKey /> and <attendant /> configuration options working to "unassigned" set up for the lineKey (lineKey.x.category="unassigned" ....) Thinking needed to 'space' past the lines on the vvx-400 until the count (13) started on the Color Expansion Module.

There is some confusion at this point as I work to decifer the meaning and applicaiton of LineKey (as on the device) the entries for the lineKey.x.index relationship to display placement as welll as how to place attendant.resourceList.x ...

So, a lot of details here.  I can provide more but did not want to flood this post.  Note, I have the phone at UC 5.2.2.0501 (it was delivered as 4.1.4).

What is next OR what is need in addition to the above?  Did I provide enough details?

thanks

HP Recommended

Hello CB,

Please ensure you always check the community FAQ and/or utilize the community search before posting any new topics or follow up post’s.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: Can I register or is my Polycom Phone compatible with a “XYZ” SIP Server?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Modifying the example provided in above post I just tested to import this and the phone is registered to my SIP server.

In order to move keys the FAQ contains this:

Jan 12, 2012 Question: Can I change / re-assign the appearance of  Line, BLF, Speed Dial and Presence Keys?

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Hello CB,

have a look at the updated local directory FAQ post => here <=

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.