Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Recently I came across a find at Goodwill, 3 Soundpoint IP550's (complete with headsets and power adapters) and a Soundpoint IP335 all for the princely sum of $47.50  I've been planning on setting up an Asterisk system to replace my Panasonic KXT  (A much larger digital PBX system way too big for me that I inherited when I bought the business and subsequently sold the system with all it's phones)

So I rolled up a FreePBX system on a virtual server and connected it to an old Cisco 1700 router with some FXO cards in it plugged into my incoming trunks and I can now make and receive calls from X-Lite on a PC   Now I want to connect the Polycom phones  (at least 2 of them for now - the other 2 I plan on using to build a little demo Asterisk system on a laptop that I can Dog-and-Pony around)

With the IP335 - unlike the other 3 phones it came with no power supply, and no stand, just kind of bouncing around in the box with the other stuff.  It also had RingCentral in big letters on the front of it.

On the back of the phone is a power port labeled 24v DC.  I had a big fat old wall wart power supply labeled 18v with the correct polarity that I plugged in and the phone powered up.  I then reset the password on it and connected it to the FreePBX system and am able to make and receive calls on it.

I have 2 questions on this so far.  First, am I going to run into trouble with the power supply?  So far the phone has been running fine for the last week, and I know from experience with these antique wall wart supplies that they often floated higher than their rated voltage so I'm guessing the phone probably is getting around 20v.

Second is the firmware on the phone.  Right now here's the info screen:

Phone Information

Phone Model SoundPoint IP 335

Part Number 2345-12375-001 Rev:A

MAC Address 00:04:F2:B1:86:D9

IP Address 192.168.1.207

UC Software Version 4.0.2.11307

BootROM Software Version 5.0.2.12692

I went to here:

https://support.polycom.com/content/support/emea/emea/en/support/voice/soundpoint_ip/soundpoint_ip33...

And it seems like the phone can take the newer 4.0.11 firmware so I clicked on the link for the non-Lync firmware and downloaded it.  I know that to upgrade I have to setup a provisioning server and all of that.  But, SHOULD I upgrade?   The school of "It's not broke don't fix it" tells me leave it alone, but the school of "if you want to try selling this stuff you need to run the latest code on your demo hardware" says go for it.

One thing I noticed is the web server on the phone did NOT like any other browser than Chrome on my win 10 desktop.  Maybe the new firmware fixes that?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

for Question 1 I found this bit of info. If the phone is working fine trhen you shouldn't have any issues.

• Voltage too low – If the voltage on an adapter is lower than the device, but the current is the same, then the device may work, albeit erratically. If we think back to our analogy of voltage being water pressure, then it would mean that the  device has “low blood pressure.”  The effect of low voltage depends on the complexity of the device. A speaker, for example, may be okay, but it just won’t get as loud. More sophisticated devices will falter, and may even shut themselves off when they detect an under-voltage condition. Usually, an under-voltage condition won’t cause damage or shorten the life of your device.

For question 2 I would say as long as it's working there shouldn't be a need to upgrade the firmware. I work for a Voip provider and our phones run a variety of firmwares and we normally only roll out newer firmware after testing thoroughly to make sure it will work. Sopme things tro think about is that your firmware is no longer supported by Polycom and upgrading the firmware is easly done through the web interface and I would recommend you upgrade all of your phones to firmware 4.0.13 as that is the latest firmware for the IP Series phones you have.

HP Recommended

Thanks!  I was hoping for something a bit more technical on the power supply question, though.  The fact is that no integrated circuit runs at 24v, 5v for TTL or 6-9v for CMOS is pretty much the standard, with lower voltages for CPUs so I knew that the 24v was being converted to something.

I did some digging and ran across this datasheet

https://www.voipsupply.com/downloads/dl/file/id/32101/polycom_ip_335_datasheet.pdf

that says the IP335 is a 802.3af PoE phone and the 24dc optional adapter is 24v at 1/2A so

as 802.3af is a max of 15watt according to the standard, IF the converter board in the phone can deal with 18v it would need 800mA from the adapter (probably more like 1A for the wasted power in the converter board) to get it's 15w and have adequate power available to convert to whatever the phone's electonics is actually using.

Other than telling me yes, the adapter I am using is capabable of supplying adequate power, that still doesn't tell me if the converter board inside the phone is operating within spec, though.

Across the US, power varies from 110v to 127v so a transformer-based "wall wart" A/C adapter rated at 24v is actually going to vary as well.  If it's rated 24v with an imput voltage of 120v, and input voltage falls to 110v the adapter is going to drop to 22v.  With transformer wall warts, determining the actual output voltage is worse because the 120v input is RMS voltage, so they are acutally using a transfomer that is a 120 to maybe 15v because by the time the wall wart's rectifiers and capacitors have converted it to DC, the voltage has risen - and, that rise is dependent on load - since a heavier load discharges  the filter caps, and the output DC has a more pronounced ripple and looks more like RMS than steady DC.

I could go on and on with the variables - but the reality is what I really need is someone to respond and say "Oh yeah, we have a bunch of those phones and we use whatever wall warts we have lying around"  or someone from Polycom to respond and say "don't worry about it we designed the phone to work off all kinds of trashy power"

Thank you very much for the tip on the version 4.0.13    The document on the URL I linked to apparently is out of date.  I did find the 4.0.13 split code and downloaded it, setup a provisioning server and the option in the DHCP server, and bang - the phone happily updated itself to the latest firmware. How incredibly simple!  The Polycom firmware download has all the provisioning files in it, all I had to do was login to my FreeBSD server, add option 66 to dhcpd.conf, restart dhcpd, adduser the userID (I used FTP) and password, copy the Polycom firmware into the user home directory and unzip it and reboot the phone.

The FreePBX site has a whole page on Polycom phones here:

https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FOP/Polycom

plus a nice set of provisioning files (one small bug in one but easy to fix)

I also found the phone can query an LDAP or Active Directory server for contacts so I'm going to look into doing that.  I have an Exchange server setup (NFR copy, I'm a reseller) so I'm going to see if it's possible to get the phone to integrate into querying the Exchange global contacts database.

These are very nice phones I'm surprised I don't see more Polycom around.  Mostly I've seen their conference room gear in use.

HP Recommended

Hello @PortlandiaIT,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The official Power Supply for the IP335 comes only in packs of 5:

2200-17877-001 Universal Power Supply for SPIP 321, SPIP 331, SPIP 335, SPIP 450, SPIP 550. 5-pack, 24V, 0.5A, NA power plug.

The above part number is for North America.

Using anything else apart from original Polycom Power supplies (not talking about PoE adaptors) is at your own risk.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Steffen, wrong on so many levels.

It is illegal in the United States for a manufacturer to require only branded parts, under the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.  Polycom can no more require a consumer to use "your" power adapter than Ford can require an automobile owner to only buy tires for their car from Ford.

If the replacement supply meets the same specs as your supply, then it's use does not absolve Polycom for liability for a phone, whatever that may be.

Secondly as I stated this phone originally was a Ring Central phone.  Polycom NEVER was "on the hook" for any responsibility for this particular phone, Ring Central would be since they sold the phone with their markings on it, Polycom OEMed to them.  A consumer could no more sue Polycom for a problem with this phone instead of Ring Central, than they could sue Bosch for problems with a starter that Ford supplied as part of a car instead of suing Ford.

Thirdly, the "official" Polycom power supply isn't "official" for this phone.  Only the "official" power supply from Ring Central would be "official" for this phone.

Fourth, this phone dates from 2013 so any warranty on it is long since expired. Even if I bought the Polycom supply it would still be "my own risk"

Last, in the US safety certifications (UL and CSA) are done SEPARATELY on the device (the phone) and the wall wart (ac adaper)   Thus, as long as I use a UL listed wall wart, even if using it causes the phone to catch fire and burn the place to the ground, the UL listing prevents liability for that from falling on the manufacturer - it would be "an act of God" whether or not I used your supply or the one I have as long as all were UL listed.

Lastly, my cost on this phone was $9.99   I'm not going to spend more than the phone for the wall wart.

HP Recommended

Hello @PortlandiaIT,

I am based in the UK and replied to this post outside of business hours in my own private time.

I only ensured the reply contained the correct part number for a Polycom product to be used with another Polycom product.

You can use a PoE switch or PoE power Adaptors or a Power Supply which is in the specifications which we describe.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.