Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi

There are some questions that are bothering me and I couldn't find an answer in any manual of FAQ topic.

1. So 000000000000.cfg file contains entries like below:

<APPLICATION_VVX300 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX300="sip_590.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX300="" />
<APPLICATION_VVX310 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX310="sip_590.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX310="" />
<APPLICATION_VVX400 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX400="sip_590.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX400="" />

What does "sip_590.ld" stand for?? Values are also different for SoundPoint and SoundStation devices.

2. I'm wondering - why there are no such entries like above for Trio family?? What they should look like?

2.1. With trial and error I've managed to figure it out partially for Trio8800, but only for CONFIG_FILES part, not for APP_FILE_PATH. It looks like this:

<APPLICATION_Trio8800 APP_FILE_PATH_Trio8800="" CONFIG_FILES_Trio8800="Trio8800-cnfg.cfg" />

3. As a bonus question.

Trio firmware file does contain "VVXLocalization". I've been observing how Trio behaves during provisioning and it does look for that folder even before asking for 000000000000.cfg file. But it happens only in case when default GUI language has been changed.

Now, the problem is that those localization files may be different between VVX and Trio products family.

Is there any way to separate them, except for maybe keeping Trio and VVX firmware in different folders? Or is it worth doing at all? Maybe it's best to just keep it in root folder and only from the latest firmware (be it either Trio of VVX)?

Regards

Lukasz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @LK_ENP ,

In order to answer your question 1:

• The FAQ is provided by volunteers adding their own interpretation to the officially available documents like the Admin Guide. Making these more complex and adding additional detailed information makes it potentially too complex to consume.

You can name the sip.ld file any name as long as it is defined in the APP_FILE_PATH="sip.ld" The phone will always append its <part-number> to the name defined and look for an individual file and if it cannot find it for the name defined alone.

Mixing legacy and new and different models it makes sense to call the SIP.ld file the software version

In order to answer your question 2:

• The FAQ is provided by volunteers adding details from the officially available documents like the Admin Guide. This is a manual process. I have now updated the table

In order to answer your question 3:

• Poly Trio and VVX development are separate so there is no easy way of archiving this. The simple solution would be for Trio devices to be provisioned from a different directory structure utilizing the DHCP Option 161/160/66 and/or Vendor Option

The Poly community is run by volunteers who answer questions but is not a replacement for the official Poly Support infrastructure. Questions that stay unanswered should be resolved by contacting our support infrastructure.

There are additional offers that are available to be purchased separately and/or professional services setting up provisioning solutions.

In order to raise a support ticket, you need to work with your Poly reseller as they may need to do this for you.

End Customers are usually unable to open a ticket directly with Poly support. Available End User Poly services offerings are detailed here

If this is some sort of an Internet discounter providing your MAC address or your Poly devices serial will enable us to look up who would be able to support you. This may not be who you purchased the Poly device from.

If the unit is no longer within the warranty please be prepared to Pay Per Incident / PPI. This is all outlined in detail here

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @LK_ENP ,

Welcome back to the Poly community.

Some or a couple of your old post(s) or reply(s) to them => here <= are still open/pending as you have not marked these as "Accept as a solution" or at least provide some form of feedback or answer.

If they are in this state nobody finding them via a community search will know if an answer or advice provided was useful and has maybe helped you.

Could you therefore kindly go over them and mark or answer as appropriate?

If they are marked as "Accept as a solution" other users can find these easier and it helps them to utilise the community more efficiently. Please do not simply mark them without any type of feedback.

For your new Issue I suggest you read:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: What is the relevance of the 000000000000.cfg or <mac>.cfg?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

May 14, 2012 Question: Can I support a mix of legacy SIP and UCS Phones on the same Provisioning Server?

Mar 08, 2013 Question: Where can I download configuration files from or create these myself?

Mar 08, 2013 QuestionWhat files does my phone download or upload and why?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi @SteffenBaierUK 

Thanks for replying.

First things first - from my opened posts I've marked only one, as I don't consider others to be answered and solved.

As for the later part. From all those links that you posted I haven't seen only one. It's a surprise, but that one seems to have explanation to question #1. So thank you for that link.

https://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP-SIP-Phones/FAQ-Supporting-a-mix-of-legacy-SIP-and-UCS-Phones-o... 

I find it kind of strange, to place that info in FAQ, which topic doesn't seem relevant. It'd be rather looking somewhere describing 000000000000.cfg file. But maybe it's only me and I'm the strange one here 😉

The sip.ld that comes with a SIP 3.1.8 download for example has already been renamed into sip_318.ld in order to separate the different SIP / UCS Software Versions.

Anyhow, it seems that "sip_318.ld" is simply a version of firmware, that device should look for. I've got to test it out if and how it works.

Right, so it seems that the same FAQ also answers question #2.

https://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP-SIP-Phones/FAQ-Can-I-use-substitutions-when-provisioning-my-Ph... 

There is table named:

Valid current Phone Model Names

OK, that's question #1 and #2. It seems that still #3 is unanswered.

Cheers

Lukasz

HP Recommended

Hi SteffenBaierUK 

Thanks for your reply. I've marked one of my posts as answered, as for other ones - there is either no reply or no satisfying answer.

Now to the main part. I've seen most of those FAQ posts, except for two it seems. And those two seem to have some answers.

https://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP-SIP-Phones/FAQ-Supporting-a-mix-of-legacy-SIP-and-UCS-Phones-o... 

One interesting thing is that it has some information, that should be in FAQs describing 000000000000.cfg file and it's "internals", not in one which has totally unrelated subject. But maybe I'm the strange one here 😉

The sip.ld that comes with a SIP 3.1.8 download for example has already been renamed into sip_318.ld in order to separate the different SIP / UCS Software Versions.

So for question #1 - it looks like those preconfigured firmware names relate to firmware version. For example - UC firmware version 6.3.0, should have name "sip_630.ld", right?

After putting firmware name like above in 000000000000.cfg file, phone is searching for that exact name. So correct me if I'm wrong, but the only real usage is when you download combined file and rename "sip.ld" to contain FW version number for easier FW maintenance?

Another FAQ also kind of answers question #2.

https://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP-SIP-Phones/FAQ-Can-I-use-substitutions-when-provisioning-my-Ph... 

I'm referring to table named Valid current Phone Model Names, which contains Trio name that can be used in 000000000000.cfg file. Too bad, that default version provided with firmware does not have it. Trio seems like unwanted and forgotten child when it comes to provisioning. Also, it should be updated, since there is no Trio8300 and C60.

All right, so that's questions #1 and #2. Question #3 seem to be unanswered. VVXLocalization is not mentioned in any of those topics.

HP Recommended

Hello @LK_ENP ,

In order to answer your question 1:

• The FAQ is provided by volunteers adding their own interpretation to the officially available documents like the Admin Guide. Making these more complex and adding additional detailed information makes it potentially too complex to consume.

You can name the sip.ld file any name as long as it is defined in the APP_FILE_PATH="sip.ld" The phone will always append its <part-number> to the name defined and look for an individual file and if it cannot find it for the name defined alone.

Mixing legacy and new and different models it makes sense to call the SIP.ld file the software version

In order to answer your question 2:

• The FAQ is provided by volunteers adding details from the officially available documents like the Admin Guide. This is a manual process. I have now updated the table

In order to answer your question 3:

• Poly Trio and VVX development are separate so there is no easy way of archiving this. The simple solution would be for Trio devices to be provisioned from a different directory structure utilizing the DHCP Option 161/160/66 and/or Vendor Option

The Poly community is run by volunteers who answer questions but is not a replacement for the official Poly Support infrastructure. Questions that stay unanswered should be resolved by contacting our support infrastructure.

There are additional offers that are available to be purchased separately and/or professional services setting up provisioning solutions.

In order to raise a support ticket, you need to work with your Poly reseller as they may need to do this for you.

End Customers are usually unable to open a ticket directly with Poly support. Available End User Poly services offerings are detailed here

If this is some sort of an Internet discounter providing your MAC address or your Poly devices serial will enable us to look up who would be able to support you. This may not be who you purchased the Poly device from.

If the unit is no longer within the warranty please be prepared to Pay Per Incident / PPI. This is all outlined in detail here

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Hi Steffen

I totally understand that you are doing this voluntarily. Thank you very much for your work, it's really appreciated. It's great, that you also updated tables in FAQ. Kudos for that 🙂

Just one more question - could you elaborate on you answer to question #3:

If there are both VVX and Trio in the same network, then the same DHCP options would be used, right? So just trying to figure out what you meant by above.. Did you by any chance mean using DHCP option 60 for different phone models?

https://knowledgebase-iframe.polycom.com/kb/viewContent.do?externalId=28715 

It seems that using this option it would be possible to tell different devices what server address AND folder each of them should use.

HP Recommended

Hello @LK_ENP ,

using a homemade provisioning solution like an FTP or HTTP server always will have certain restrictions.

Yes the DHCP Vendor Option 60 can be used for something like this.

Using a Poly solution like RealPresence ResourceManager, PDMS-E or Lens does not have these limitations as it can easily deal with different models.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Thank you. With this I think that all my questions have been answered.

Cheers

Lukasz

HP Recommended

Hi @LK_ENP 

have a look at this old script I created years ago => here <=

Best regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.