Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Moved by MOD from => here <=

I have the same problem  "Waiting for network to initialize"  , but I was trying to upload new firmware and something is definately not right, I can still select the "Setup" button on the LCD screen and enter the 456 Admin password, but cannot now use the Menu key. I have set the IP7000 to use DHCP, and although I cannot be 100% sure, I think it is back to factory default state. 

anyway to speed things up, here are some answers that Steffan asked the previous poster : 

>Is this a brand new unit or has it worked before?   it has worked before 

>Is this connected via PoE or via a additional Polycom Power Adaptor?   via the Polycom Power Adaptor 

More info for Steffan,  when I press the "About"  soft key button  ( far right on the LCD screen ) it says 

Server :  Resolving .....

IP Address :  Resolving ....

VLAN Resolving 

ENet :    which is my MAC address 

Rev:  4.1.2.0037  11-Aug-08 16:19 

NB  I think the Rev:  4.1.2 is the boot rom version. 

all this has come about because we have bought a new HDX 9004, and all I wanted to do was update ( via TFTP ) the firmware to ver 3.2.5  ( 15th March 2011) as per the guidance on the Polycom website for HDX integration. It also mentioned that "Although it is not a requirement, it is recommended that BootROM 4.2.3 be used in conjunction with SIP 3.2.5.

so I downloaded the ver 3.2.5 combined from the Polycom Support page for the IP7000

http://downloads.polycom.com/voice/voip/sp_ss_sip/spip_ssip_vvx_3_2_5_release_sig_combined.zip

unzipped the files and placed them in my Pumpkin TFTP  IP7000 directory ( having done this tens of times before in the last 7 or 8 years with many many IP4000 and IP6000's  ) 

any guidance ( help ) would be gladly received at this juncture, after pulling my hair out all day and now going home to sleep.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello pcourtney1,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

I have moved your post from above link as it may sound similar but in your case I assume the phone simply cannot find the provisioning server in order to load it's software.

I would suggest to check the exact messages on the screen and then follow the FAQ => here <= on how to point it to a Provisioning server.

If this fails please span/map a port and run a wireshark trace to capture the traffic.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

In addition please ensure that you are using the recommended SIP / UCS Version for your HDX. If the HDX has Software 3.0.x I suggest to use UCS 3.3.4 or even UCS 4.0.2 Rev B

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

thank you Steffan for the reply

but sadly a working IP7000 is now a brick after trying to do a simple firmware update following the Polycom instructions.

http://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP/FAQ-How-can-I-setup-my-Phone-Provisioning-Download-Software/td-...

your comment about running wireshark is not much help either, what would I do with the results, email them to Polycom, and what would that achieve when my 7000 is out of warranty. 

I am furious about this, these 7000 devices are not exactly cheap, in fact they are the most expensive audio conferencing units money can buy, I never had this happen with any of the 4000 or 6000 products.

HP Recommended

Hello pcourtney1,

I doubt it is a brick as it is still letting you in the BootROM menu as you posted originally and can enter the Menu there.

A wireshark would simply tell yourself what IP address the unit is requesting from the DHCP Server and therefore show you if it attempts to use another method of provisioning.

I personally have never killed a Phone by flashing it and based on your comments the BootROM is still there so it should be rather easy to get it back working.

All the units use the same method so the SSIP7000 is no difference there but I am unaware what you did during the upgrade so I am unable to comment on that.

Even if the Unit is out of warranty you can always call Polycom Support but you may get charged PPI.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Got two brand new Polycom SoundStation IP5000 units and trying to set them up... Neither of them would get an IP address... Sitting at "Waiting for the network to initialize"... If I set the IP staticly it goes to the menu etc, but still is invisible to the network (can't ping it). I noticed that when clicking on About button (next to set up) it shows that this thing is on VLAN100... Could it be that it is not on the same VLAN as DHCP and thats why it is not working??? I tried to change VLAN ID to 1 but no luck (still does not allow toping it and still shows VLAN100 under About) this thing is possessed... Any help is appreciated and if I can't get this going in the next few days I am returning both and will look for the solution elsewhere... Bytheway, called Polycom support and got "Sorry VoIP technicians are not available"... not happy. But if I can only get someone who knows the system to give me a hand to get this thing to at least get an IP I would be a happy camper... ready to pay if needed to get this resolved.

HP Recommended

Hello Gasystems,

I replied => here <= in your original post.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

It seems the 5000's and 7000's don't like VLANS.   It would be helpful IMHO if polycom started putting a reset hole button on their speaker phone units to reset them to factory defaults as once they connect to your provider such as broadsoft - they get fubared and the only solution is to send them back for a replacement.

HP Recommended

Hello boe,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

This is a very weird statement and I would like to get more details.

We have a multiple key combination that allows to reset the phone but we need details on what is happening, how to replicate this and what configuration is being used.

All our phones work fine with VLAN's

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Thanks - verizon walked us through the reset of the polycom IP 5000 when it stopped working.  We had 2 units and they said they were bricked and couldn't be reset unless we sent them back.   We weren't upgrading the firmware or anything, just trying to get them on the same VLAN as our other vvx phones.    It is easy enough to set the VVX back to factory defaults - much harder on the ip 5000

HP Recommended

Hello @boe ,

Welcome back to the Poly Community.

All our phones use the well documented Multiple Key Combination to recover these. 

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.