Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I have 200+ Polycom IP 5, 6 and 7k phones, plus a few Trio 8500 and 8800s.  I have them all on the newest firmware.  Unfortunately they're all bought by other departments on campus that don't necessarily buy any support for them so I'm at a loss on how to get support... Regardless, there appears to be a bug in the SIP RFC compliance of these phones and I'm wondering if anybody has a work-around or has also experienced this bug.

The issue is that the phones don't support the "SIPS:" URI.  This wouldn't be a big deal, because the phones are all registered in my environment with TCP signaling and thus use "SIP:".  However, my proxy server has some internal communications it does and includes VIA and record-route headers about midway down the list with the SIPS: URI.    Here's where the non-compliance is exposed:  The phone re-writes the entire list when it responds and changes all of the record-route and via headers that have "SIPS:" to "SIP:SIPS:".   The proxy doesn't know what to do with that and it never forwards the phone's replies (e.g. 200 OK).

Here's an example:

INVITE message's record-routes:

Record-Route: <sip:SM1@192.168.0.73;transport=tcp;lr;av-asset-uid=794513d5>
Record-Route <sip:127.0.0.2:15060;transport=tcp;ibmsid=local.1504124737047_2762749_2993075;lr;ibmdrr> 
Record-Route: <sips:127.0.0.2:15061;ibmsid=local.1504124737047_2762749_2993075;lr;ibmdrr> 
Record-Route: <sip:SM1@192.168.0.73;transport=tls;lr;av-asset-uid=794513d5>
Record-Route: <sip:192.168.0.200:5061;transport=tls;lr>

Phone's 200 OK (new-lines added for readability):

Record-Route: <sip:192.168.0.222;transport=tcp;lr>,
<sip:rw479dcd66@192.168.0.207;lr;transport=TCP>,
<sip:192.168.0.206:15060;transport=tcp;lr;ibmsid=local.1503513256525_4565480_5029726>,
<sip:rw-479dcd66@192.168.0.207;lr;transport=TCP>,
<sip:SM1@192.168.0.73;transport=tcp;lr;av-assetuid=794513d5>,
<sip:127.0.0.2:15060;transport=tcp;lr;ibmsid=local.1504124737047_2762749_2993075;ibmdrr>;
<sip:sips:127;lr;ibmsid=local.1504124737047_2762749_2993075;ibmdrr>;
<sip:SM1@192.168.0.73;transport=tls;lr;av-assetuid=794513d5>,
<sip:192.168.0.200:5061;transport=tls;lr> 

I've temporarily worked around this by forcing my Polycom phones to use my SBC so I can hide the internal topology from the phones but that's eating SBC licenses.

Any thoughts out there?  Polycom want to fix this?  The lack of support for the SIPS URI is understandable, it's newish (like 9 years ago).  But to rewrite and hose the headers that don't apply to the phone directly is actually a basic SIP RFC violation.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @Sam O.,

welcome back to the Polycom community.

Some or a couple of your old post(s) => here <= are still open / pending as you have not marked these as "Accept as a solution" or at least provided some form of feedback or answer.

If they are in this state nobody finding them via a community search will know if an answer or advice provided was useful and has maybe helped you.

Could you therefore kindly go over them and mark or answer as appropriate ?

If they are marked as "Accept as a solution" other users can find these easier and it helps them to utilise the community more efficiently.

We already discussed SIPS in one of your older posts back in 2016 and as far as I am aware only the Trio running 5.5.4 has a fix for SIPS in relationship with an AVAYA 7.1 Server.

If you believe we violate the RFC then open a ticket. The Trio's at least should still be in warranty or pay PPI.

The Trio already supports Zoom as explained:

Nov 27, 2017 Question: Can I add Zoom to the Polycom Trio?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Anything else would be a feature request.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended
Thanks. I couldn't find my previous post to verify but I thought it was about supporting sips in general, but about hosing the record-routes.

If I understand Polycom's position, they won't fix the IP5/6/7k, despite those models still being sold? Or can I open a support ticket against those? Since we own mostly ip7k and they're not very old, I'd like to see those fixed. My management won't be keen on simply replacing them all with trios.
HP Recommended

Hello @Sam O.,

If we ever claimed to support this and your unit is still in warranty we can open a ticket as outlined below.

If we never claimed to support this and your unit is out of warranty we can open a ticket as outlined below but you need to pay PPI.

If we never claimed this and you simply assumed we support it you need a feature request.

In order to raise a support ticket you need to work with your Polycom reseller as they need to do this for you.

End Customers are unable to open a ticket directly with Polycom support.

If this is some sort of an Internet discounter please post either your phone's MAC address or your Polycom devices serial so I can look up who would be able to support you. This may not be who you purchased the Polycom device from.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.