Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have discovered an issue with some custom configuration I am running on our Polycom Soundpoint IP550's and would like some assistance to tell me if I have discovered a bug or am simply trying to do something that isnt supported?

First some background - our client required a dedicated button on specific handsets in their office to put their new phone system into an out of hours mode that changes call routing behaviour, from ringing a ring group, to routing all calls directly to voicemail instead. To achieve this on the phone system side (3CX) we setup all inbound calls to route to what we term a "Routing Extension", which in this case we will say is ext 1000. This extension has 2 different statuses which can be switched between by dialling dial codes, however the callee making the dial code call must be the extension that requires its status altering (ie ext 1000).

Phone configuration is such that each IP550 (ten in total) has the line 1 and 2 keys configured as their own personal extension (eg 2 buttons dedicated to ext 1001 thru to 1009 for phone number 10). Some of those phones need the ability to switch the system into "out of hours mode". To achieve this I configured line the reg section of the config file as below

<reg
    reg.1.address="%%extension_number%%"
    reg.1.auth.password="%%extension_auth_pw%%"
    reg.1.auth.userId="%%extension_auth_id%%"
    reg.1.displayName="%%extension_first_name%% %%extension_last_name%%"
    reg.1.lineKeys="1"
    reg.1.lineKeys.SPIP550="2"
    reg.1.lineKeys.SPIP650="2"
    reg.1.server.1.address="%%pbx_ip%%"
    reg.1.server.1.expires="60"
    reg.1.server.1.port="%%param::sipport%%"
    reg.1.server.1.register="1"
    reg.2.address="1000"
    reg.2.auth.password="Password"
    reg.2.auth.userId="1000"
    reg.2.displayName="In"
    reg.2.label="In Office"
    reg.2.lineKeys="1"
    reg.2.server.1.address="IP Of VoIP Server"
    reg.2.server.1.expires="60"
    reg.2.server.1.port="5060"
    reg.2.server.1.register="1"
    reg.3.address="1000"
    reg.3.auth.password="Password"
    reg.3.auth.userId="1000"
    reg.3.displayName="Out"
    reg.3.label="Out Office"
    reg.3.lineKeys="1"
    reg.3.server.1.address="IP Of VoIP Server"
    reg.3.server.1.expires="60"
    reg.3.server.1.port="5060"
    reg.3.server.1.register="1"                 
  />

This means line keys 3 & 4 register as ext 1000 but display the label "In Office" on line key 3 and "Out Office" on line key 4.

I then configured Auto off Hook dialling for line keys 3 and 4 to automatically dial the dial codes to set the status of the routing extension (1000) is either in office or out of office using the config below

<call
    call.directedCallPickupString="%%param::pickup%%"
    call.directedCallPickupMethod="legacy"
    call.offeringTimeOut="0"
    call.autoOffHook.2.enabled="1"
    call.autoOffHook.2.contact="*34"
    call.autoOffHook.3.enabled="1"
    call.autoOffHook.3.contact="*32"
  />

With me so far?

So what happens is the user can activate Out of office mode simply by pressing line key button 4 labeled "Out Office", this in turn places a hands free call to the PBX from the Polycom that appears to be from Ext 1000 and dials the specific code to change the system into night mode (*32). The callee then hears a voice prompt from the server saying the system is now in night mode. To switch the system back into In Hours mode, the users simply presses the line key button 3 which does the same but sends the code to put the system into "In hours mode" (*34).

All of this works very well apart from one thing.

Putting the system into "in office hours" mode is fine, but when the button is pressed to place the system in to "night mode" the call gets made to the server fine, but the phone never ends the call. I have examined wireshark traces and can see the PBX server sends a REQUEST: BYE packet to the phone, but the phone never sends back a 200 OK Message and continues to show a live call and sends a neverending sRTP stream of audio from the hands free mic.

If I view a capture when the system is put into "In Hours Mode", I can see the phone sending a 200 OK to end the call and the phone stopping its RTP stream.

Where it gets really interesting is if I switch the dial codes around between line keys 3 and 4 the issue stays with whatever is configured on Line key4 - ie I move the dial code for putting the system into "In office hours" mode to line key 4, the call to make this change never hangs up either?

The PBX is always sending the REQUEST: BYE so is not at fault here - the issue appears to be the Polycom not sending the 200 OK when the call comes from Linekey 4?

Can anyone offer any assistance?

All phones are running SIP 3.3.3.0069

Thanks

Paul

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Can you post the SIP subtrees from that BYE message?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please see the attached wireshark screen grabs.

The files are called OK BYE which is the one that works, and the non working is called NOT OK BYE

Thanks for any help.

Paul

HP Recommended

We are now seeing this same issue on phones running 4.0.4 firmware in a slightly different configuration.

We have configured Line 1 to be the phones main ext and then line buttons 2-4 register as the same ID (8004) and the key presses of each button set to dial differing dial codes (*3x) to change the behaviour of that extension.

Once again, any calls made from the Line 2 button automatically hang up after the call (as they should after getting a 200 BYE from the voIP PBX), and calls made from either Lines 3 or 4 do not hang up.

Wireshark again confirms a 200 BYE is sent but the phones respond with a "481 Call Leg/Transaction Does Not Exist" message and the call continues.

Sounds very similar to this issue

http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/8Et0ZNz1waVdZrKPK339

Config file attached to this post

Is this a bug?

Paul

HP Recommended

Hello pjr,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

The 481 Call Leg/Transaction Does Not Exist is a simple SIP message from the phone to let your SIP server know that it does not know the call ID that the server had send.

I would suggest you get a wireshark trace and filter the call id from the 200 OK and verify if this is one in sequence that the phone should be aware off.

As a follow up please contact your Polycom reseller for further support.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I'm also seeing this issue, on VVX300 and VVX400.

It appears that there is a bug in the Polycom firmware, that it can't handle using the same extension number on multiple line keys, even if they are registered against mutliple/different servers.

When I configure a VVX300 or 400 with the same extension number on 2 lines, but registering to 2 different servers, the second line doesn't function correctly.

Sending an UPDATE packet to the phone, containing the same Call-ID as previously used in the OK packet when the call was answered, results in the phone returning a 481. In response to this our switch sends a BYE to the phone, to which it responds 481 again, and leaves the call up forever.

By simply changing the extension number on the second registration, ie address and username, ie:

reg.2.address=""
reg.2.auth.userId=""

to values different that the ones used on reg.1, and changing nothing else, this problem doesn't occur.

HP Recommended

Hello Squigley,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

If you believe you found an issue with your yet undefined Software version please go ahead and report this via your Polycom reseller to Polycom support.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Any updates on this issue?

Much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hello ,danders4321

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Unfortunately many users decide to not follow this up the official outlined way and therefore depriving other users and Polycom support to fix any issues if they exist.

Are you having such issue?

If yes it is always useful to include the currently used SIP or UC Software version as issues experienced may already be addressed in a newer release.

The above is also stated in the "Read First: Welcome to the Polycom VoIP Forum"

Therefore the Polycom VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Question: How can I find out my SIP UC Software Version or the BootROM Version of my Phone?
Resolution: Please check here

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

@Squigley  I can't offer you any help, but I need to THANK YOU for posting this. Googling Polycom 481 brought me here. Our industry is receiving a massive amount of phone calls because of COVID-19. We do have the same line assigned to multiple keys. We have had intermittent outbound calls failing for weeks. We have not been able to find any pattern and had nobody at any of these sites to try to actually watch what was happening. Since the primary line key was frequently tied up with a ringing inbound call, the users were likely selecting the second or third lines for their outbound call. This caused the VVX to then reject the call with a 481. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.