Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

My company has been using a combination of Polycom 400 500 and 600 phones on the 8x8/Voicenet platform for the past 6 months.

Since we started to use the new system a number of our phones (all models) have experienced an issue where a caller or receiver has a call either internal or external and there is silence with both parties being unable to hear the other party.

The only way to resolve this is to unplug the phone and then plug it back in to initiate a reboot after which the phone will work fine until the next incident.  

This fault is not confined to any particualr model or extension and we cannot manually replicate it.  I occurs I would guess (it has happend so often that users now dont tell me) around 2 or 3 times a day.   The only thing i can point to is the phones that are prone to experience it the most are ones which are used less frequently.  

We have contacted our platform supplier but after 6 months we are not further forward with the provider suggesting that is is a bandwidth issue (something that we dont think is the case bearing in mind we have a dedicated EFM line with 12Meg upload and download and at maximum we have only around 10  - 15 phones using the network at one time.

Whilst the fault may be minor, the frequency of it occuring has left management with no alternative but to consider replacing the Polycom phones as faulty something which i am unsrure is the case.  

Has anyone experience this issue themselves or know any way in which to prevent it from occuring.

Regards

John 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello John,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

This may be a simple restrictions on the port range in your network / firewall.

Our phones utilize RTP and RTCP port and use any even port between 2222 and 2269. Each new call will use a next higher even port until the range is complete and start back from the beginning.

If your network is somehow blocking part of this range that would explain this only happening ever so often. This would be easy to replicate by simply making a multitude of calls after each other.

Spanning a port to monitor the traffic via wireshark would then provide enough information when the Audio Ports are blocked at a certain point.

The phones are not defective in any way and another competitors phones would behave probably the same way if they use the same port.

It needs professional troubleshooting and your supplier / 8x8 should work with Polycom support if the struggle with this.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

John,

What version of UCS are you running on the phones?  We had a simular issue with one of the 5.0.x releases(not seeing the exact version in my notes).  Only way we found to prevent it was to reboot the phones weekly until it was fixed in a firmware update. 

HP Recommended

Hi Polycom,

I am having the same issue as John in the above statement. Calls will be silent on both ends of the call and hear nothing until a reboot. It started with two phones and now I am up to 5 phones in a week. I have nothing blocking on the firewalk as far as ports are concerned. 

This started happening after the phones appeared to loose their connection to the NTP about 2 months ago, apparently for no reason. They no longer could find my server. for the correct date and time. We tried many configerations on the server but nothing helped, nothing else was afffected just the phones. One by one they would drop off until my phone provide sent out their expert that said I had to manaully change all the phones to hard set the NTP and that helped most of them but then they started dropping off with the silence for some phones right after that was set. 

The phone expert says that my polycom 331's have the latest firmware. He said it's not the phones but something wrong with a switch but I have these 5 phones  on muliple different switches on different floors of the building so I don't know how that could be. 

The phone expert took a packet capture of the trouble phone and it appeared it was going to the old SipX server that was on the network 10 months ago before this new phone provider and has been shut down.  Although that IP address was asigned to a printer and the phone is going to that printer. He said there was no way to tell the phone to go to the new network NTP and DHCP ocated on my server.

Do you have any ideas to help. Can't a config file tell these phones to go to the real dhcp server? I also have polycom VXX 300 and they don't have the issue that is why I am thinking it is something on the firmware or software of the 331's. Although the VXX phones did have the flashing date and time before the hard set of the ntp server. 

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hello trigirl50,

welcome back to the Polycom Community. Any updates on these old posts => here <= we helped you?

It is always useful to include the currently used SIP or UC Software version as issues experienced or a question asked may already be addressed in a newer release.

This also allows yourself and others to check against current software release notes, Administrator Guides or FAQ post’s.

The above is also stated in the "Read First"

Therefore the Polycom VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Question: How can I find out my SIP or UC Software Version of my Phone?
Resolution: Please check here

In addition a backup from a SPIP and a VVX so you can compare these and maybe a wireshark trace ?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thank you so much. I am sorry for my lack of details. 

So when I find the  software it says

Label Sip  Version 4.0.9.1191

I even after going into ever phone via the web portal and change the phone to go to the NTP server. I still have a few that continue to flash date and time. These are the Polycom 331 with the above version.

I attached a few files I could get. I can't include the config file or the Phone backup because they are txt files. I managed to get the log file saved in Word

This is from a phone that continues to need to be rebooted every few hours some days. This is not flashing date and time. 

Thank you so much

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

Hello trigirl50,

You have DNS issues and also you are using the wrong software on your phones.

Jun 30, 2015 Question:What is the difference using the UC Software 4.0.0 for compatible SoundPoint or SoundStation IP Phones?

Resolution: Please always check the release Notes or

Software Version  Call Server
4.0.X SIP Only
4.1.X LYNC Only

Please install UC software 4.0.11 instead of 4.1.1

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

We are trying to get the phones to reboot and pick up the firmware but they are not making it to a provisioning server. Is this the DNS issues you see? We can't locate the sourse of the problem.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hello trigirl50,

is this a local FTP server or a remote ?

Please post some logs:

• Settings > Logging > Global Settings > Global Log Level Limit > Set to DEBUG
  • Settings > Logging > Module Log Level Limits > CURL > Set to DEBUG
  • Settings > Logging > Module Log Level Limits > COPY > Set to DEBUG

If this is not possible please work with Polycom directly for a PPI / Pay per incident as the phone in question is out of warranty as it was sold back in 2012

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.