Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We have Sound Point 335 phones runing version 4.09.  Is it possible to use the Group Paging on a WAN with a Asterisk system?

Group Paging works on our LAN perfectly but we can't seem to get the WAN phones to work at all.

Thanks in Advance

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello getRdone161,,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

Do you mean our Polycom build in Multicast PTT feature or some SIP INFO Header auto answer ?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Yes it's the Polycom build in Multicast PTT feture.

HP Recommended

Hello getRdone161,

have you checked via wireshark if the send multicast traffic is actually forwarded to the destination you have you "other" phones registered to?

Can you describe your network setup in more detail ?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I guess a better question is doees anyone know if  Asterisk would know to forward this traffic to the correct ip on a WAN setup?

No I have not tested it with Wireshark, I would guess it's just going to hit the external IP of out PBX and die there?

HP Recommended

Hello getRdone161,

The Polycom PTT feature has nothing to do with your PABX as it has no control over it.

I suggest you check this document => here <= and also read this => here <= to understand what Multicast actually is.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Sorry but  I'm just not getting this.. How does a internal 335 PolyCom phone on a LAN know where the 335 WAN phones are to send the multicast traffic to? 

We have both LAN and WAN phones on our Asterisk PBX.  Internal LAN PTT works great but I still can't understand how a LAN 335 device will know where a WAN 335 phone is on tne Internet to send the WAN traffic to.  Also the WAN 335 phones will be on a internal IP address parked behind a router at a remote workers home office.

Sorry but I just can't get clear on how a LAN 335 phone finds a WAN 335 phone on the Internet to use the PTT feature.

HP Recommended

Hello getRdone161,

our PTT implementation is based on the technique for one-to-many and many-to-many real-time communication over an IP infrastructure in a network.

This simply means our phone uses the group address as the IP destination address in their data packets.

By default, packets are multicast to the IP address 224.0.1.116 using UDP and port 5001. The other phones simply "listen" to this IP address for any traffic and then "dissect" the fields to check if the channel they subscribed to is part of that transmission.

There is no routing from a phone perspective and the phone does not know what phones have subscribed to what PTT channel.

The above is standard networking and I am in no position within this Polycom community to go into further detail on this.

You may want to look at using SIP INFO Headers as described in this FAQ post here.

Oct 25, 2011 Question: How can I change my Ringtone or Ring in a special manner for a certain incoming call?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

This should be feasible via the Internet as the Asterisk server in this case simply sends a SIP INVITE.

If you require further details please work with your Polycom reseller.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.