Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

One of our administrative staff ordered a Sound Station IP7000 to replace a SoundStation Premier.  I have no experience with IP phones.  The directions are straight forward except the phone is not getting any boot paramters.

After digging around in the forums, I came across the whole provisioning server thing.  The staff person was not told this was a requirement for using the IP7000.  To my knowledge there is no such server on our network.

After further reading, I learned that a provisioning server can be set up but one needs to know what software version and ROM version the phone is using to ensure proper functionality because the provisioning server needs to run a compatible version.  This apparently can only be gotten by using the 'Menu' button.  But the menu button doesn't do anything.  I'm guessing because the phone has no IP.  So now I'm in this "Catch-22" situation if the menu button only works with an IP because I can't get an IP without a provisioning server.  If I give the phone a static IP, can I log onto the phone using a browser?

Is a server really necessary?  How do find out what software version the phone is using if the menu button doesn't do anything.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello jamesd3rd,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post and many others here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I setup my Phone / Provisioning / Download / Upgrade / Update / Downgrade Software?
Resolution: Please check => here <=

and

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I find out my SIP UC Software Version or the BootROM Version of my Phone?

and

Oct 7, 2011 Question: What SIP or UC Software Version or BootROM Version is supported by my Phone?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I saw all this but it doesn't tell me what I need to know.  The problem is the menu button can't be used to determine software version.  Nothing happens on the LCD screen when I press it.  I'm making the assumption that it needs an IP in order for the Menu button to work unless the phone is defective.

HP Recommended

Hello jamesd3rd,

If you have somehow deleted the software that was on the phone you will need to interrupt the boot process by pressing setup / or cancel and then setup.

Once you enter the menu you will be able to set a provisioning server IP address or hostname.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

This is a brand new phone right out of the box.  No one has done anything with it since it was purchased.  The other question is do I absolutely need a Provision Server?

HP Recommended

Hello jamesd3rd,

if you are unable to access the menu or if the phone does not show softkeys and a flashing time after the bootup process is completed indicates that somehow the software is not installed correctly.

This can only be rectified via a provisioning server.

Please contact your Polycom reseller and/or Polycom support directly for further support.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.