Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Good Morning:  I am setting up some IP 335 phones and have run into a small issue.  When I attempt to dial from an NEC workstation, the call rings thru to the Polycom but the Polycom does not transmit a ring back tone to the NEC workstation, just silence.

Does anyone know the following:

Why this would happen?

What setting controls the ring back feature in the setup?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BIll

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello Billy,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Usually SIP Endpoint like phones can provide their own Call State / Call Progress tones.

Lifting up the Handset on a Polycom Phone will provide a dial tone even if the phone would not be registered.

Calling another phone will provide a call progress tone.

If you do not receive a call progress tone when calling a Polycom Phone then you should investigate on the NEC Side as the Polycom phone like other SIP Endpoints would only signal back that they are accepting the call.

100 Trying

180 Ringing

200 OK

Above is just a basic example.

Please liaise with your NEC / SIP Provider.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello,  Thank you for your response.  I did some checking and I am still unable to find out where the breakdown is occurring.  Let me try to explain:

NEC -->  SIP Soft Switch

SIP Soft Switch -->  PolyCom

The Polycom is registered with the SIP soft switch on static port 5060.  The call does complete when dialing from an NEC to a PolyCom but the call progress tone NEVER makes it back to the NEC. 

In you opinion, is the call progress tone being stopped or misdirected by the SIP soft switch or the PolyCom phone itself?

Please Advise and Thank you!

Billy

HP Recommended

Hello Billy,

as far as I am aware the Polycom Phone would not provide the actual "tone".

The Polycom Phone will receive an SIP Invite from the SIP Server based on the NEC Workstation calling it.

The Phone will then send a SIP 200 OK back to the SIP Server

The Phone will then send a SIP 100 Trying to the Server

The Phone will then send a SIP 180 Ringing to the Server (as it now audibly signals the incoming Call on the Polycom Phone that has been called)

The Phone will then send a SIP/SDP 200 OK back to the Server when the call is answered on the Polycom Phone.

At no time will the Phone physically send a Call Progress Tone back to your calling End Point (NEC Workstation)

Please raise this with your SIP Server Provider as this is in my understanding working as designed.

The Polycom Phone on the other hand is able to produce it's own call Progress tones for an outgoing call and is described in this FAQ Post => here <=

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services 

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended
Spoiler

Hello,

Thanks again for the information.  I did a wireshark transfer and noticed that I did not have a route built into my trunks and gateways for the extensions that were being called.  So when the call attempt to send out a call progress tone, it could not find the owner/originator of the call. 

I am all set and working now.

Thanks again!

Billy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.