Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi

I just buy SoundPoint IP 450 in order to check it out.

I configure this phone as standalone for the testing.

I did that by configure (using Polycom PDF):

DHCP Menu,

configure boot Server to Static

Server Menu.

configure boot Server type FTP and Server IP address 0.0.0.0

What happened is that the phone after some time show this message:

“Failed to get boot parameters via DHCP…”

I check the capture that is did with wireshark and I can see the phone doing discover and the DHCP respond to it but then nothing happened from the phone side.

Can you please help me to how can I make it work?

Hi

I just buy SoundPoint IP 450 in order to check it out.

I configure this phone as standalone for the testing.

I did that by configure (using Polycom PDF):

DHCP Menu,

Server Menu.

What happened is that the phone after some time show this message:

“Failed to get boot parameters via DHCP…”

I check the capture that is did with wireshark and I can see the phone doing discover and the DHCP respond to it but then nothing happened from the phone side.

Can you please help me to how can I make it work?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello dsaada,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Most likely the phone is running a software older than UCS 3.3.0 and needs a provisioning server in order to load the sip.cfg and phone1.cfg.

The communitys VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I setup my Phone / Provisioning / Download Software?
Resolution: Please check => here <=

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi

First 10xs very much for the quick respond.

I was following  the links you put and most of them sharing the Provisioning POV.

I didn't  find any data explaining how can I upgrade my phone / where can I download the firmware.

Can you please share where can I download the OS and how should be the upgrade process?

10xs

dsaada

HP Recommended

Hello dsaada,

I added additional Information to the post linked earlier:

"

The Server (FTP is preferred) needs to be setup to provision the desired SIP / UC Software Revision.

Usually this is archived via downloading a compatible SIP / UC Software Revision from => here <=

Example UCS 4.0.3 Rev F and unzip the content of the download into a directory. You will then have to point the relevant Server (HTTP(s), FTP(s) or TFTP) to the directory where the Software has been unzipped.

"

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi

I did exec as you write here and was able to successfully upgrade the phone to 4.0.3.

The issues remained the same, I unable to get IP from DHCP even that I use static as DHCP and putting 0.0.0.0 on the server IP.

how can we fix it plz?

HP Recommended

Hello dsaada,

I am unsure of your DHCP reference in regards to the static setting.

From the UCS 4.0.1 Admin Guide page 42:

Static: The phone will use the boot server configured through the Server Menu.

You also described that you set the server address to 0.0.0.0

Above simply tells the phone not to look for a Provisioning Server and instead just boot without loading any external files.

If you have upgraded the phone to UCS 4.0.3 the phone would have either received a IP address via DHCP or you would have to have set manually an IP address, Subnet and Gateway and probably a DNS Server.

As you did not provide this information I therefore assume it used DHCP and received an IP and connected to the  Provisioning Server and downloaded the relevant files and upgraded the phone.

Please provide details what issue you are now experiencing so community members can help you.

If you still struggle I need to make you aware of the support process as stated in the Read Me First post, the FAQ and also the Community => here <=

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Hi

For the Upgrade I gave the phone static IP and configure ftp so the phone can get the files to do the upgrade.

the upgrade completed successfully:

Phone Information

Phone Model

SoundPoint IP 450

Part Number

2345-12450-001 Rev:B

MAC Address

X.X.X.X

IP Address

X.X.X.X

UC Software Version

BootROM Software Version

After the upgrade completed I change the phone to use DHCP.

In order to configure the phone as standalone:

DHCP Menu,

Server Menu.

After that I reboot the phone and still I have the same issue, I not getting IP from DHCP even I know for sure DHCP sending offer.

hope this is better distractible my problem.

HP Recommended

Hello dsaada,

I was unaware of the fixed IP as you had not provided that information.

The only further troubleshooting you would be able to do is set the phone back to DHCP and then also activate syslog on the phone with some IP as the destination for the Syslog server.

Syslog uses unicast UDP and you should be able to see the log lines from the phone in your wireshark trace.

If no other community member get's back to help you the next step would be to contact your Polycom reseller to bring this to the attention of Polycom support.

You will need to provide the following:

• Wireshark Trace of the Phone booting up until issue is reproduced (if reproducible)
  • -app.log and -boot.log as a complete set (via Syslog or FTP server with append allowed)

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.