Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I also have customers experiencing this problem.  I'm able to recompile Asterisk with the workaround patch, however I'd rather not.

Is there any word on a fix from Polycom

HP Recommended

I've also experienced this problem using SPIP670 with Broadworks BLF List.

Any updates from Polycom?

HP Recommended

Hello Henry and Teef,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The Asterisk issue is logged internally as 1-494027911 and I suggest to raise an additional ticket to get more focus on this.

For Broadworks I am not aware of this issue and you would be required to raise this via your Polycom reseller to bring this to the attention of Polycom support.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I can reproduce this on an IP 650 running4.1.1.0260.  You can cause a crash immediately by trying to change the attendant ring tone (menu, 3, 1, 5, 3).  When you select the last items nothing appears to happen.  If you wait or try to go back into 3/attendant calls, the phone freezes and then reboots.  Happens reliably every time.  This is using a 3CX server so again, not Asterix specific and definitely a problem with this firmware.

HP Recommended

Hello NickUK,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

UCS 4.1.0 and UCS 4.1.1 is a LYNC only release as stated in the Release notes and is not tested or verified against SIP.

Please install the relevant compatible and supported UCS 4.0.6 and test again.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi,

Just to follow up on this.  We have been running 4.0.6.0711 on our handsets for a few weeks now and are still seeing handsets exhibit this behaviour.  I've just had users (the few with BLFs) contact me to say they still have to reboot their phones every morning.  Up until now I though the problem was resolved but alas no.

Nick

HP Recommended

Hello NickUK,

It seems you are then suffering from the same issue that the original posters are reporting in this post.

I suggest you either downgrade to UCS 4.0.4 and/or raise a ticket with Polycom support.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

I think I read earlier in this thread the downgrade did not address the issue?

HP Recommended

NickUK,

The first problem you reported, where changing attendant ring tone causes the phone to lock up, is not one I have run into or tried to reproduce, but I also don't see how it is at all related to the problem that is being discussed in this thread.  I would recommend opening up a new ticket and reporting that as a separate issue to Polycom.

Prior to 4.0.5, there are issues with BLFs, but the issues are different.  In 4.0.4 and earlier, it has been observed that BLF lamps will randomly get "stuck" in a certain state, and sometimes line keys that are programmed to be actual line keys instead of BLFs will also become "stuck" and will become unresponsive/unusable for some random period of time or until the phone is rebooted.  The latter issue with line keys only happens when other keys are defined as BLFs; if the phone config has no BLFs defined this does not occur.  It is possible that this is related to the rate of SIP messages that the phone is getting from the SIP proxy it is registered to, but this has also been observed by me to happen in environments where the SIP dialog rate is demonstratably not high.

There is, however, no memory leak related to BLFs in UC versions prior to 4.0.5.  It would seem that in 4.0.5, Polycom tried to deal with the BLF issues in 4.0.4 and earlier, and that they actually succeeded in doing so (I cannot reproduce the "randomly stuck BLF/line keys" issue in 4.0.5 and 4.0.6), but in the process, they introduced a new bug (probably a part of the new BLF handling code) that leaks RAM in certain circumstances; specifically, whenever the phone is told to turn off the BLF lamp for an extension that the lamp is already off for.

So prior to 4.0.5, the phone will not run out of memory, crash, and then reboot, but both BLF keys and line keys may, depending on your environment, become randomly, temporarily unresponsive (which, as we discovered, can also lead to other strange and undesirable behavior, such as being unable to sieze a line assigned to a given line key that has "frozen" up, leading to missed calls and lack of dialtone when going off-hook if the next available line is associated with a line key that has gone rogue).  In 4.0.5 and 4.0.6, this problem no longer happens, but if your PBX is given to sending gratuitous BLF "terminated" state messages (which isn't wrong behavior or against spec/counter to RFCs, and in some situations makes sense), your phone will gradually leak all available memory and eventually crash.  Again, depending on your environment, this tends to happen to people in a cycle of between every 1 to 7 days.

So it's kind of a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't scenario.  You will likely have *some* kind of BLF-related problem regardless of which UC version you decide to run.  You will need to pick your poison for now and decide which problem is the lesser of two evils for your particular organization.  Again, it all depends on your environment, and if you are running 4.0.4 or older, you might not ever experience the problems with BLFs that I and others have, and some people running 4.0.5 or 4.0.6 may never experience the memory-leak-induced crashes because of what PBX they are using, how it works, and how it is configured in their particular case.  So if you are currently running a version of UC with one BLF bug or the other, and you are experiencing the particular bug associated with that version of UC, it is definitely worth a try to either downgrade or upgrade to a version that has the other bug, just to see if that other bug even manifests itself in your particular environment.  It might not, in which case that is obviously the version you should stick with for now.

In our case, since we have seen both bugs rear their heads in our environment, but since we can work around the problem in 4.0.5 and 4.0.6 on the PBX side with a self-developed patch for Asterisk (three cheers for open source!), we have decided to stick with 4.0.6 on our SPIP450 and SPIP650 phones with the patch applied to Asterisk, but continue to run 4.0.3 on our SPIP335 phones since 4.0.4 and above are buggy on SPIP335 phones in a different way (user profiles) that also affects us.  It's ugly having to run different versions of UC on different phone models to work around different bugs, but it has allowed us to function while we wait for a new release that incorporates fixes to all of these problems.

Speaking of a new release, I have reason to believe that UC 4.0.7 is due to be released Any Day Now, possibly even this week.  Supposedly it includes fixes for both this memory leak bug as well as the user profiles bug on SPIP3xx phones.  If this is true, then we can finally start running the same release across the entire organization!

-- Nathan

HP Recommended

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for the through explanation.  In our scenario we only have 3 users setup with BLFs and they really only use them as an indicator for line busy status for a couple of other users.  I have suggested we remove these and use the 3CX soft console for line busy information (much more user friendly anyway).

That being said, it would still be useful to be able to use BLFs on these handsets for line pickup etc, so I will keep a keen eye on the new release.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain the issues in these versions.

Nick

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.