Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I have a number of PolyCom IP321 and IP331 phones deployed and have been having weird issues with a very small number of them that I have been unable to pin down.  I have updated the firmware on them (went very well) and have done all that I can to pin the problem down but I'm at a loss on how to proceed.  Below is an overview of the setup and a condensed timeline:

Setup:

- Asterisk PBX 

- Provisioning of phones done via FTP from the PBX

-- All phones are on the same LAN as the PBX 

- All phones use A/C adapters and not PoE

Timeline:

- Shortly after install (appx 1.5 years ago, at thissss point), some of the phones began 'rebooting'

- We checked all of the obvious, power, connections, etc.

- As a test, we replaced the phones with my phone (had never 'rebooted') and neither phone (mine or the one that we put at my desk that was rebooting) rebooted.

- One other phone 'rebooted' a few months ago but never came back online.  I went to that location and confirmed that the switch that it was plugged into had died (the user had plugged the phone into a workgroup switch with 2 other devices and the workgroup switch had failed).  We replaced the switch and have had no more problems.

- Now, two other phones on the same network are beginning to reboot.  I am not opposed to swapping out additional phones but would like to see if there is some way for me to 'see' what's going on on the Polycom phones.  I see notices in the PBX log (it's FreePBX, so the log is /var/log/asterisk/full) stating that the phones are lagged and / or unreachable) but I do not have any log data on the phones to tell me if they became lagged / unreachable *before* they 'reboot' or if the lagged / unreachable was the reason for the reboot, etc.  

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello cybertechcafe,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Without knowing your current updated software level checking against release notes is difficult.

I would suggest you check your phones boot & app log possibly using a syslog server as described in the FAQ => here <= in order to check for any errors mentioned in the log.

Quite often users using the wrong files (sip.cfg/ phone1.cfg) or simply wrong parameters causing the phone to reboot.

It is also interesting in what state the phones reboot (idle / busy) and if this can be reproduced. 

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.