I have a number of PolyCom IP321 and IP331 phones deployed and have been having weird issues with a very small number of them that I have been unable to pin down. I have updated the firmware on them (went very well) and have done all that I can to pin the problem down but I'm at a loss on how to proceed. Below is an overview of the setup and a condensed timeline:
- Asterisk PBX
- Provisioning of phones done via FTP from the PBX
-- All phones are on the same LAN as the PBX
- All phones use A/C adapters and not PoE
- Shortly after install (appx 1.5 years ago, at thissss point), some of the phones began 'rebooting'
- We checked all of the obvious, power, connections, etc.
- As a test, we replaced the phones with my phone (had never 'rebooted') and neither phone (mine or the one that we put at my desk that was rebooting) rebooted.
- One other phone 'rebooted' a few months ago but never came back online. I went to that location and confirmed that the switch that it was plugged into had died (the user had plugged the phone into a workgroup switch with 2 other devices and the workgroup switch had failed). We replaced the switch and have had no more problems.
- Now, two other phones on the same network are beginning to reboot. I am not opposed to swapping out additional phones but would like to see if there is some way for me to 'see' what's going on on the Polycom phones. I see notices in the PBX log (it's FreePBX, so the log is /var/log/asterisk/full) stating that the phones are lagged and / or unreachable) but I do not have any log data on the phones to tell me if they became lagged / unreachable *before* they 'reboot' or if the lagged / unreachable was the reason for the reboot, etc.
welcome to the Polycom Community.
Without knowing your current updated software level checking against release notes is difficult.
Quite often users using the wrong files (sip.cfg/ phone1.cfg) or simply wrong parameters causing the phone to reboot.
It is also interesting in what state the phones reboot (idle / busy) and if this can be reproduced.
Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.
Polycom Global Services