Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We're have a SoundStation Duo connected to a Chromebox for Meetings (Google Hangouts) via 2.5mm audio in/out port. It is connected using the included Y cable to a similar Y cable (via a few pass-through adapters) for the Chromebox (also has a combined audio in/out port). When this works, it works very well. Audio input (to the SoundStation from the Chromebox) works consistently, but frequently the Chromebox doesn't detect the connected SoundStation as its audio (mic) input. When this happens, the Chromebox detects no mic.

We don't leave the 2.5mm Y cable permanently connected to the SoundStation--it's only plugged in when using it with the Chromebox for meetings. The SoundStation is also connected to our network for use as an IP conference phone. When the Chromebox has trouble detecting the SoundStation as audio/mic input, I've tried powering off the Chromebox and making sure the SoundStation is connected before powering on the Chromebox again, thinking maybe this would force it to detect the SoundStation. I'm wondering if the problem is with the 2.5mm connection/connector on the SoundStation side of things...

Any ideas how to troubleshoot, get this to be more reliable?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello regexaurus,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

It is always useful to include the currently used UC Software version as issues experienced or a question asked may already be addressed in a newer release.

This also allows yourself and others to check against current software release notes, Administrator Guides or FAQ post’s.

The above is also stated in the "Read First"

Therefore the Polycom VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Question: How can I find out my SIP or UC Software Version of my Phone?
Resolution: Please check here

In addition does the cable itself work if you plug it into a PC instead of the Chromebook and/or use the additional adaptors ?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Installed UC software version is 4.1.0.84959.

I tried a software upgrade check from the web interface. An Information notice appears, "Fetching available software versions from the Polycom server." But it never finds anything and eventually times out and/or returns to the Home screen. In Chrome, the page times out and I see an out of memory error. Microsoft Edge after a long time displays the Home screen but offers no information on whether the software is up-to-date or an update is available.

HP Recommended

Hello regexaurus,

UC Software 4.1.0 is for LYNC only. Are you using LYNC ?

If not you should be on UC Software 4.0.11. Even if used with Lync you should be really on 4.1.1 instead.

As for the online upgrade your IT department may block this so you need to setup a manual provisioning server. This is all described in the FAQ.

You still have not answered my other questions either.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

We don't have Skype for Business (formerly Lync) in our environment.

Our IT checked logs and says nothing in our security/firewall configuration would prevent the phone from contacting online update servers.

1. Downgraded to 4.0.11.0583 from a local provisioning server. Interestingly, after doing so, the Polycom Hosted Server software upgrade check was successful.

2. Successfully tested connecting my phone (Moto X 2014) to the SoundStation Duo. I used the Y cable (2.5mm male to 2 x 3.5mm male) included with the conference phone. The Chromebox has a similar Y cable, but male to female. I joined the 2 Y cables together for testing with my Moto X.

3. Normally the Chromebox connection to the SoundStation goes through the 2 Y cables/adapters, several pass through connectors (gender adapters and jacks) and 15 feet or so of cable. To better replicate the setup of the successful test with my Moto X, I temporarily connected the Chromebox the same way (using only the 2 Y cables/adapters). Again, the conference phone worked fine as a speaker (Chromebox audio output), but the Chromebox didn't detect a microphone source.

As mentioned before, sometimes the Chromebox does detect the conference phone as a microphone source--even when connected via the longer cable run and pass through connectors. When it works, it works well (quality, etc.).

HP Recommended

It would be nice if we could connect the SoundStation to the ChromeBox via a USB cable or possibly Bluetooth. The Chromebox does work reliably with USB conference phones (it came with one), but we prefer the SoundStation--we have 2 extension mics for the SoundStation and we plan to connect the SoundStation to a Mitel IP/SIP 3300.

HP Recommended

Hello regexaurus,

The SoundStation Duo comes as is and is only working with the cable that we add to it. Its either a PC Calling Kit or the Mobile Phone cable and both of them work with most PC's or Mobile Phones.

Adding any kind of adapter to the cable will degrade the signal and can cause what you are seeing. There is not much more that I can add from a Polycom perspective.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.