Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I recently purchased an IP 6000 phone. I connected it to a functioning Cisco 2960 PoE switchport. The phone will not power on and associated switchport remains dark. I tried all 'power inline' command settings - phone did not power on. Disabled CDP on switchport - phone did not power on. I was able to successfully power the phone via a PowerDsine 6548 PoE unit, so I have confirmed the phone is functional. I have researched this issue and cannot find any information that may shed light on why the phone will not power up via the 2960. Any assistance and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hello SBATES,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The SSIP6000 supports IEEE 802.3af Power over Ethernet and the switch in Question seems to support this as well.

As you have proven that the Phone is in working order I would suggest your work with Cisco Support to check if the Switch is configured correctly to automatically offer the PoE to the Unit.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Just wanted to add that on the same port on the switch when connecting a 7940 cisco phone the 7940 phone does power up, and we have plenty of 7940's phones connected to the switch.

HP Recommended

@Joe and Sbates,

Cisco uses their own proprietary PoE Protocol so as advised before check with Cisco if Industry Standard PoE is activated.

Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Gotcha Steffen, will check with Cisco TAC.  Thank you

HP Recommended

Steffen,

Wanted to let you know I found this FAQ:

Q. Can the Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series provide power to IEEE 802.3af and Cisco pre-standard Power over Ethernet simultaneously?   A. Yes. It automatically detects the end point to provide the appropriate power without any user intervention.

Interesting.  I will still check with Cisco to see if there is a way to force 802.3af.

HP Recommended

Steffan,

It appears there is no obvious way to force 802.3af on a switchport.

Q. Can a Cisco switch be forced to provide pre-standard PoE to an 802.3af-compliant IP phone?  

A. There is no way to force the switch to provide pre-standard PoE, because the power allocation is done automatically through negotiation. Cisco switches with PoE capability automatically supply power to connected pre-standard powered devices, such as Cisco IP phones and Cisco Aironet access points, and to IEEE 802.3af-compliant powered devices if the switch senses that there is no power on the circuit. This means the switch supplies power to any non-Cisco device that does not have Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP), as long as it is an IEEE 802.3af-compliant powered device. In conclusion, Cisco pre-standard PoE devices and 802.3af-compliant devices work accordingly, and the switch cannot provide either pre-standard PoE to an 802.3af device or 802.3af power to a Cisco pre-standard device.

HP Recommended

@Joe and Sbates,

Sbates clearly proved that the Phone works with another switch. It does not work with a Cisco Switch.

I am unsure on how to advise further.

The Switch port may log the activity that is happening so it may be a IOS issue and you should troubleshoot this with Cisco.

Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have the exact same issue with the same devices.  I also have a Catalyst 3560 PoE and the same problem with it.  Just like this forum, I moved the device to a different switch (a Nortel PoE one) and the phone actually comes up, so it is not the phone itself.

I am unable to call Cisco TAC about this right now, because I don't have a support contract registered to me yet.

So if anyone actually found a solution, I would love to hear it.

Thanks,

Rob D.

HP Recommended

This is very poor support. There is no update to this topic. I can't imagine there are only a few people using Cisco 2960 PoE switches. I currently have 60+ PoE phones, access points and video cameras hooked up to these switches and the only things not working are the polycom IP 6000. Hopefully I can find one person that has a suggestion on this issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.