Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

SoundStation IP 7000 as a computer microphone/speaker

Occasional Visitor

SoundStation IP 7000 as a computer microphone/speaker

I am trying to use a SS IP 7000 as a microphone/speaker on a Dell XPS 13. The Dell has a single headset plug that combines microphone (input) and speakers (output), the same as a cell phone.

I have the Polycom cable that converts from the 2.5 mm connector on the SS to the 3.5 mm connector on practically everything else. The application used for testing on the Dell is Microsoft Lync 2010 and the audio control panel for configuration attempts.

What works:

• iPhone connected to Polycom - Microphone and speaker works fine - One problem noted is a wicked echo on the other side. The person hears everything repeated that they say. No problems noted on the Polycom side.
  • iPhone connected to Apple earbud headset - This really should work since Apple spent zillions on developing just the right earbuds for their phone.
  • Dell connected to Apple earbud headset - Just plug the Apple earbuds into the computer and everything works just fine.

What doesn't work:

• Dell connected to the Polycom - The sound output to the speaker works fine; it's a beautiful rich sound. The microphone does not work at all. In the audio control panel I've pushed the microphone level and gain to maximum and still the meter registers no response.

The cable end for the Apple earbud is exactly the same as the cable end for the Polycom adapter; four individual contacts. Has anyone seen a solution for this? Can someone from Polycom chime in?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: SoundStation IP 7000 as a computer microphone/speaker

Hello Scoot_G,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Not sure what cable you are currently using but the community's VoIP FAQ now contains this post here:

Aug 01, 2013 Question: What mobile phone cable can I use?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 2 of 2