Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

*** Summary, from bottom of post. Read on for full details ***

So, now I am basically in a situation where I have a phone that will work great, as long as there is a TFTP server configured and accessible every time the phone reboots. How can I set the phone to NOT require a TFTP server and just use the same config each time it loads? I mean, it says when it boots, can't find file using existing config, then later says it can't find the config. What gives? 

Thanks in advance for any help with this. Trying to use this knowledge to help a customer and a non profit fix a bunch of dead boot looping phones.

*** End Summary ***

After configuring many older Soundpoint 300, 301, 500, 501, 550's etc manually with the phone's web interface, I have finally decided to spend some time learning Polycom's provisioning server methods.

I successfully learned how to fix a IP 500 that was in a reboot loop, sort of.

I setup a TFTP server on my Mac, downloaded the latest BootROM (3.2.3 b) and firmware (2.1.3) and applied it to this phone. I didn't change any of the files initially, just left everything default in the directory. I clciked setup on the phone itself and manually entered the server type and IP of my Mac.

By the way, are those the latest versions I listed above? I got them the link below, if there are newer versions please let me know. I seem to remember using a newer web interface on these a while back at some point but this looks like a older web interface.

http://support.polycom.com/PolycomService/support/us/support/voice/soundpoint_ip/soundpoint_ip500.ht...

I was thrilled to see that the phone stopped boot looping and I could now get to the web interface on the phone. I figured great, if nothing else I can do what I usually do to configure these phones and use the web interface on the phone and I was off to the races, at least for this phone which was formally broken (as far as I knew).

Problem is, once I shut off the TFTP server and reboot the phone, the phone basically complains that it can't load the macaddress.cfg and then reboots itself.

I thought, OK, I will just manually put a bogus TFTP address in the phone which I had done on Polycom's in the past to keep them from loading config files from a server. Didn't help..

So, now I am basically in a situation where I have a phone that will work great, as long as there is a TFTP server configured and accessible every time the phone reboots. How can I set the phone to NOT require a TFTP server and just use the same config each time it loads? I mean, it says when it boots, can't find file using existing config, then later says it can't find the config. What gives?

Thanks in advance for any help with this. Trying to use this knowledge to help a customer and a non profit fix a bunch of dead boot looping phones.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Turns out, it was the latest firmware version. I read on several post on other forums that others had the same issue. Once they downgraded to the firmware version before the latest, the issue was gone.

I downgraded and it fixed it for me as well.

Just posting my results to benefit others that may run into this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.