Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm interested in using my Soundpoint 650 to record calls.  There is a usb port in the back of the phone and my agreement states that I have a call recording license until Jan 4, 2055.  When I make a call I don't have a "More" soft key that would allow me to record the call.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you,  Christina

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Christina,

The 'Record' softkey only appears when the USB drive is connected to and mounted by the phone, and then, only when there is an active call. If you're still not seeing the option, it's possible the recording feature itself is not enabled in the phone's configuration. You'll need to check with whomever manages your phone's configuration to verify that the following parameters are set accordingly:

feature.17.name="call-recording" feature.17.enabled="1"

(This is an advanced feature, so it is only accessible from the configuration files. You may have to contact your system administrator or service provider to get them to edit the files.)

If you've already verified these paremeters, I would recommend trying a different flash drive than what you're currently using, and if possible anything off of the "Supported USB Devices" TB that Steffen recommended. I personally have had good luck with the previous generation SanDisk Cruzer flash drives (just my own personal experience).

Let us know how that works

-James

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello Christina,

please ensure you check here:

http://www.polycom.com/global/documents/products/voice/desktop/supported_usb_devices_recording_sound...

Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Christina,

The 'Record' softkey only appears when the USB drive is connected to and mounted by the phone, and then, only when there is an active call. If you're still not seeing the option, it's possible the recording feature itself is not enabled in the phone's configuration. You'll need to check with whomever manages your phone's configuration to verify that the following parameters are set accordingly:

feature.17.name="call-recording" feature.17.enabled="1"

(This is an advanced feature, so it is only accessible from the configuration files. You may have to contact your system administrator or service provider to get them to edit the files.)

If you've already verified these paremeters, I would recommend trying a different flash drive than what you're currently using, and if possible anything off of the "Supported USB Devices" TB that Steffen recommended. I personally have had good luck with the previous generation SanDisk Cruzer flash drives (just my own personal experience).

Let us know how that works

-James

HP Recommended

Hello Christina,

as James highlighted below the Feature is not automatically active and depends on the Administrator/or yourself of your SIP Platform to enable this functionality.

The Parameter James quoted is pre UCS 3.3.0

I have written a detailed Technical Explanation and submitted this to our Database so other users can benefit from this:

Polycom® SoundPoint IP 650, 670 and Polycom® VVX 1500 USB Audio Recording and Playback

The Polycom® SoundPoint IP 650 and 670 and the Polycom® VVX 1500 phones can be configured to allow recording of audio calls on a supported USB device.

This feature requires a license key for activation except for the Polycom® VVX 1500.Using this feature may require purchase of a license key or activation by Polycom® channels .

For more information, contact your Certified Polycom® Reseller.

A Productivity Suite Evaluation License for testing purposes can be found at

http://www.Polycom.com/products/voice/applications/

A Valid License may be already installed and the Status can be checked via Menu Key/Settings => Status => Licenses

The Functionality depends on a compatible USB Device and has been verified in the "SoundPoint® IP 650 and 670 Supported USB Devices for Call Recording – TB38084" and can be found at 

http://support.polycom.com/PolycomService/support/us/support/voice/soundpoint_ip/VoIP_Technical_Bull...

Below Instructions are based on UCS 3.3.0 Configuration and may vary if an older SIP Software Revision is being used. 

Please check the individual Admin Guide for your Polycom® SoundPoint IP 650, 670 or Polycom® VVX 1500 that can be found at http://support.polycom.com/PolycomService/support/emea/support/voice/index.html

In order for the Phone to load the configuration changes and or license file a Provisioning Server is needed. 

For more information on how to setup and use a free FTP server in order to provision the Phone, refer to "Technical Bulletin 44011 "Register Standalone SoundPoint IP, SoundStation IP and Polycom VVX1500 Phones" at  

http://www.polycom.com/support/voice/soundpoint_ip/VoIP_Technical_Bulletins_pub.html .

You can either download the Polycom ® UC Software for your Phone and unpack the Zip File and open the features.cfg template File which can be found in the /Config Subdirectory or create a new file with the following example content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<!-- USB Recording and Playback Example  -->

<polycomConfig xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="polycomConfig.xsd">

<feature feature.callRecording.enabled="1"/>

</polycomConfig>

Store the above file as recording.cfg

Open the 000000000000.cfg file that is included in your Polycom ® UC Software

The CONFIG_FILE="" Section specifies what additional configuration files are loaded whilst starting the Unit and change this to CONFIG_FILE="recording.cfg" and store this file with a file name of the MAC Address of your Polycom® SoundPoint IP 650, 670 and Polycom® VVX 1500 that can be found at the Bottom of the actual unit.

Example 0004F2BE90A9.cfg

Once you reboot the Polycom® SoundPoint IP 650, 670 and VVX® 1500 the Phone will automatically load the <mac>.cfg and a valid license from the provisioning server.

For more detailed Information on how to use the USB Recording and Playback Functionality please refer to the Productivity Quick User Guide at

http://supportdocs.polycom.com/PolycomService/support/global/documents/support/user/products/voice/P...
Additional Information can be found within the Technical Bulletin 32265 “Activating Feature Licensing on SoundPoint IP, SoundStation IP, and VVX Phones” at

http://support.polycom.com/PolycomService/support/us/support/voice/soundpoint_ip/VoIP_Technical_Bull...

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

The supported USB Device list  Was last Updated: August 2008 Really?

I couldn't find a singe one of them availble for purchase... 

HP Recommended

Hello VoipAddict,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

In the early days of USB sticks we needed to test these.

These days purchasing a a quality brand should be fine.

We simply cannot test this anymore and I already had a similar discussion => here <=

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Thanks,

I have found one that doesn't show an error but I can't test it since calll recording functions are not working, 

I tried provisioning the License.

My Log shows

0510123027|cfg |*|03|Prov|Starting to update
0510123028|lic |4|03|cfgCfsFlashKeyScratchLoad: key is blank
0510123028|lic |*|03|License: new key for USB Call Recording expiry TUE MAR 15 20:00:00 2022 added
0510123028|lic |*|03|License: new key for Conference Management expiry TUE MAR 15 20:00:00 2022 added
0510123028|lic |*|03|License: new key for Corporate Directory expiry TUE MAR 15 20:00:00 2022 added
0510123028|lic |*|03|License: new key for uaCSTA expiry TUE MAR 15 20:00:00 2022 added
0510123028|lic |*|03|License: new key for Access URL expiry TUE MAR 15 20:00:00 2022 added
0510123028|lic |*|03|License: new key for Enhanced Feature Keys expiry TUE MAR 15 20:00:00 2022 added
0510123028|lic |4|03|cfgCfsFlashKeyScratchLoad: key is blank
0510123029|cfg |*|03|Prov|Setting device parameters from configuration files.

However Status>Licenses 

Shows: No Licenses Installed 

HP Recommended

Hello VoipAddict,

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Dec 06, 2013 Question: How can I Record or Playback Audio Calls?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

You no longer need a license when you use a current software (you have not told us your)

Please utilize the FAQ for any further questions.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply

So i have 4.1.0.84959

I uploaded this via the web interface

<usb feature.callRecording.enabled="1"/>

Still it does not seem to be enabled  

HP Recommended

Hello VoipAddict,

4.1.x s for LYNC

4.0.x is for openSIP

What are you using?

Have you created a backup and checked the feature is loaded ?

The next step would be to open a support ticket.

In order to raise a support ticket you need to work with your Polycom reseller as they need to do this for you.

If this is some sort of an Internet discounter please post either your phone's MAC address or your Polycom devices serial so I can look up who would be able to support you. This may not be who you purchased the Polycom device from.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.