Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have around 500 Soundpoint IP 335 phones bought for an important customer. We are in the process of automatically configure the phones with the Provisioner settings.

On the other hand, we have not been able to configure the Provisioning server as FTP - is always using TFTP. We have changed settings thru the Web GUI Interface but the change never applies.

Anyway, we can deal with TFTP.

But the main problem we have is the boot process and the configuration phase. UC Software is 4.0.6 and we have this 000000000000.cfg file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<APPLICATION APP_FILE_PATH="/config/sip.ld" APP_LOG_FILE_DIRECTORY="/log/" CONFIG_FILES="/config/sip-interop.cfg,/config/site.cfg,/config/Phone335.cfg,/config/features.cfg,/config/reg-basic_[PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS].cfg" />
</PHONE_CONFIG>

Once we restart or reboot the phone it is asking initially for 000000000000.cfg and sip.ld files. At this stage, the phone is trying to download the sip.ld but it can't. And it states in a continuos restart and no trying other files.

If I remove the sip.ld from the directory (making the TFTP not finding the file), the phone starts to download the config files. But again, the phone is continuosly restarting. The log shows:

000021.894|sip  |*|03|Fast Boot Measurement Point: Ready for Call, uptime: 21.894 sec.
000021.950|app1 |5|03|Corporate directory instance does not exists.
0823182640|copy |*|03|Server '10.9.156.16' said '0004f2646358.cfg' is not present
0823182641|cfg  |*|03|Prov|Starting to update /config/2345-12375-001.sip.ld
0823182641|copy |*|03|Server '10.9.156.16' said 'config/2345-12375-001.sip.ld' is not present
0823182641|cfg  |*|03|Prov|Starting to update /config/sip.ld
0823182641|copy |*|03|Server '10.9.156.16' said 'config/sip.ld' is not present
0823182642|copy |*|03|Server '10.9.156.16' said '0004f2646358-phone.cfg' is not present
0823182642|copy |*|03|Server '10.9.156.16' said '0004f2646358-web.cfg' is not present
0823182642|copy |*|03|Server '10.9.156.16' said '000000000000-license.cfg' is not present
0823182642|copy |*|03|Server '10.9.156.16' said '0004f2646358-license.cfg' is not present
0823182642|cfg  |*|03|Prov|Setting device parameters from configuration files.
0823182642|cfg  |*|03|Prov|Restarting due to device parameter changes.
0823182644|app1 |6|03|Manual Restart

And the phone is continuosly restarting and downloading all the files. From the logs, what I can understand is that from some reason "something" is doing changes and because of that the phone detects a change and needs to be restarted.

If I remove the CONFIG_FILES info from the 000000000000.cfg, the phone is restarting and working properly or just stoping TFTP server.

I have read so many forums, threads and doc but I am not able to find out why this is happening.

Is there any way to avoid always download the config files? Just only the first time (like 000000000000-directory.xml).

How can we avoid the continuos restart and the "Restarting due to device parameter changes"?

I have attached my config files and also the logs. First part of the logs is having sip.ld renamed - second part is the Manual Restart.

Thanks, Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello javier_rodriguez,

Your 000000000000.cfg is an absolute mess and it does not represent the original file and its structure anymore.

In addition some of your configuration files seem to be copy & pasted together from backups of the phone.

You mentioned the phone cannot load the sip.ld or <partnumber>-sip.ld but then state the phone is now updated to 4.0.9 

I suggest as follows ( and assume my Tier 2 colleagues will do so as well):

• Start with a clear and original 000000000000.cfg
    simply define in the Config_Files section the configuration that you want the phone to load

• Ensure you just have a very basic configuration as the files you attached are rather chaotic

Again, keep your configuration simple, and do not use all the contents from the template files as you do not need 99% of the configuration parameters you trying to load.

• A simple example for a line registration is show => here <=

• A simple Mass Deployment script can be found => here <= 

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello javier_rodriguez,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

As you can see in the above logs the phone is unable to find any of the files as they are not present.

In addition UC Software 4.0.6 i sno longer a supported version and you should be using UC Software 4.0.9 instead.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I setup my Phone / Provisioning / Download / Upgrade / Update / Downgrade Software?
Resolution: Please check => here <=

The above explains in detail how to provision phones.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

Are those files required?

<mac>-phone.cfg
<mac>-web.cfg

From what I have been investigating those files only overrides common configuration. We do not want a list of files for each phone - only the reg-basic_<mac>.cfg is particular for each phone.

Regarding the licenses files:

From what I have been reading is only needed if we would have some specific features (i.e. H.323) - that is not the case.

Regarding the sip.ld file: if I put it in the directory the phone is restarting continuosly as well without asking for above files.

Thanks, Regards

HP Recommended

Hello javier_rodriguez,

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Mar 08, 2013 QuestionWhat files does my phone download or upload and why?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

The -web and the -phone files are automatically created by the phone if any changes are made via the Web Interface of the Phone GUI.

Any files downloaded with the UC Software within the /config sub directory are only meant as templates and are not mandatory to download and being used.

Any configuration "should" only contain the parameters you want to change from the factory default.

You need to look at the logs or lower the log settings but as this is a customer affecting issue simply work with your Polycom reseller.

They should provide first level support and then raise a ticket with Polycom support for you.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

So, we can conclude that although there are errors regarding files not present, if these are not required there is no impact. However, still is not clear why the phone is restarting if any file has been modified.

I have already raised a SR: 1-1189535161.

On the other hand, now the phone is upgraded to 4.0.9.

I also managed a way to configure the Provisioning Server with this link:

http://knowledgebase-iframe.polycom.com/kb/viewdocument.do?noCount=true&externalId=14831&sliceId=1&c...

Anyway, I am trying to contact the IT group responsible of the DHCP configuration to change the option 66 of the default Provisioning Server.

I was trying to change the debug level for each scope but I was not able to get the proper log. Can you please advise on any recommendation to increase the log information regarding configuration files?

Also I have noticed from the post you mention that for sip.ld, the phone is checking some headers to see if an update is needed or not. In my investigation, I am not able to see this and not sure if this is working properly.

Many thanks.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hello javier_rodriguez,

Your 000000000000.cfg is an absolute mess and it does not represent the original file and its structure anymore.

In addition some of your configuration files seem to be copy & pasted together from backups of the phone.

You mentioned the phone cannot load the sip.ld or <partnumber>-sip.ld but then state the phone is now updated to 4.0.9 

I suggest as follows ( and assume my Tier 2 colleagues will do so as well):

• Start with a clear and original 000000000000.cfg
    simply define in the Config_Files section the configuration that you want the phone to load

• Ensure you just have a very basic configuration as the files you attached are rather chaotic

Again, keep your configuration simple, and do not use all the contents from the template files as you do not need 99% of the configuration parameters you trying to load.

• A simple example for a line registration is show => here <=

• A simple Mass Deployment script can be found => here <= 

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

Sorry for not get back to you before - I was trying your suggestion.

I have started from scratch and by the moment the hardphone is working properly. I am adding cautiosuly each config parameter required from our customer (admin password, dial plan, etc.).

Thank you very much for your assistance. At the time I finish the provisioning and getting a workable configuration will let you know in the thread.

By the moment, it seems that the device.* configuration under <DEVICE> seems to be the problem. I have removed a lot of unusable options.

Thanks! Regards

HP Recommended

Hello javier_rodriguez,

From the UC Software 4.0.1 Admin Guide:

Changing the Device Parameters

Enable the global device.set parameter during the initial installation and disable the parameter when you have completed installation. Disabling the parameter after installation prevents the phones from rebooting and triggering a reset of parameters that users may have changed since the initial installation

You may want to check the whole section on page 254 and later

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.