Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Greetings,

We have occasional power outages in our building.  Whenever this happens, after the power is restored some (not all) of our Polycom SoundPoint IP phones (we have a mixture of 330s and 331s) will not boot and will have 3 flashing red lights.  I have been able to fix this by swapping out the power cord. I have also found that if I unplug the power cord and wait about 10 minutes, it will work when I plug it back in.  Do you know what causes this or how I can avoid it?  Do the capacitors in the power cord need to drain or something?  It's annoying when it happens as employees don't have Internet when their phone is down (we use the passthrough port on the phones to connect our computers). It's also seemingly random as to which phones this happens to.

Regards,

Kit

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello Kit,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

This sounds like very much that either an incorrect power supply for the phones is being used or the power to the building is not sufficiently providing 110V/230V depending on your geographic location.

Most likely when the power returns after an outage several devices in your building will all power up at the same time. This can lead to a lower voltage being provided to the phone as it would need to boot up.

Usually unplugging the power cord for a short period and re-plugging should be sufficient and you should not have to wait for 10 minutes.

I would check the Power supply's first and then possibly work with an electrical engineer to ensure the voltage is sufficient.

For any further follow up please work with your Polycom reseller.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

Thanks for the reply.  We are using these power supplies, and they do seem to work well for the phones generally:

http://tinyurl.com/cor2d72  (link goes to page on jameco.com)

What seems strange to me is that only a small percentage of the phones have the issue when the power comes back on.  I think your theory about the lower voltage seems to be correct.  Perhaps most of the phones get enough voltage right at that moment to power on, but a few are lacking just enough voltage and go into their blinky lights funk.

I will try an experiment and see the shortest amount of time I can unplug and plug back in so that the phone can then power on.  It's certainly not as inconvenient as swapping out the power cords.

Regards,

Kit

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.