Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi,

This seems like a fairly strange issue to me. We have two VLANs (voice and data) on our switches (Cisco 3560's) on which I tried several port configurations. No matter what I try, the 335 can't get an IP from the DHCP server on the voice VLAN. It can get an IP from the DHCP server on the data VLAN though, but that's not really what we want......

So, the things I tried (VLAN 14 being the data VLAN and 102 the voice):

switchport access vlan 14
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 102
srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20
srr-queue bandwidth shape 10 0 0 0
priority-queue out
mls qos trust cos
auto qos voip trust
spanning-tree portfast

This is the default configuration and is working for the other phones we have: Linksys and Grandstream. With this config the 335 gets an IP from the data VLAN even when I configure the 102 VLAN in the phone.

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 14
switchport trunk allowed vlan 14,102
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast

This setup I found googling, here the phone get's no IP at all.

switchport access vlan 102
switchport mode access
priority-queue out
mls qos trust cos
auto qos voip trust
spanning-tree portfast

Configuring the port as an access port for just the voice VLAN is also not getting an IP to the phone.

Any ideas?

The DHCP server we're using for the data VLAN is a windows 2008R2 server and the DHCP server for the voice VLAN is our firewall (Cisco ASA 5510).

Thx.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

Seems like I found it 🙂

When comparing the DHCP offers from the two 'servers' I noticed the following:

Inline afbeelding 1

The offer from the Cisco ASA had two options with an incorrect length. These options where set up as ascii. After removing them or setting it as an ip address (dhcpd option 42 ip 10.87.etc) the phone did accept the DHCP offer and got the correct IP address.

So it seems that when offering these options as ascii the ASA doesn't use the correct length (bug?). And the 335 is very critical over accepting a DHCP offer with incorrect options, atleast these two.

Using option 160 to define the ftp server+login with an ascii string is working nicely for example.

So all's well for now.

Perhaps this might help someone else out in the future.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello tassitsupport,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

I suggest you start with a Wireshark trace and have a look at the DHCP etc. exchange. In addition it is useful to post the current software version as well.

Check the Admin Guide matching your Software Version in order to check the VLAN assignment format.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Was afraid you might say that 😉 I'll set up a trace and let you know.

Version.... I found the BootROM to be 4.3.1.0440 looks like the version to me (?)

I'll have a look at the admin guide, I assume I should be able to find it on your site?

Regards,

Ernie

HP Recommended

Hello Erni,

the BootROM is like the BIOS of a PC, you should post the SIP / UCS Version.

Have a look at the forum FAQ.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

Got it. Version: 3.3.3.0069

I'll let you know when I had a look at the wireshark trace (hopefully tomorrow).

Regards,

Ernie

HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

Seems like I found it 🙂

When comparing the DHCP offers from the two 'servers' I noticed the following:

Inline afbeelding 1

The offer from the Cisco ASA had two options with an incorrect length. These options where set up as ascii. After removing them or setting it as an ip address (dhcpd option 42 ip 10.87.etc) the phone did accept the DHCP offer and got the correct IP address.

So it seems that when offering these options as ascii the ASA doesn't use the correct length (bug?). And the 335 is very critical over accepting a DHCP offer with incorrect options, atleast these two.

Using option 160 to define the ftp server+login with an ascii string is working nicely for example.

So all's well for now.

Perhaps this might help someone else out in the future.

HP Recommended

From the UCS 4.1.0 Admin Guide:

To assign a VLAN ID to a phone using DHCP:

In the DHCP menu of the Main setup menu, set VLAN Discovery to Fixed or Custom.

• • When set to Fixed, the phone will examine DHCP options 128,144, 157 and 191 (in that order) for a valid DVD string.
  • • When set to Custom, a value set in the VLAN ID Option will be examined for a valid DVD string.

DVD string in the DHCP option must meet the following conditions to be valid:

• • Must start with “VLAN-A=” (case-sensitive)
  • • Must contain at least one valid ID
  • • VLAN IDs range from 0 to 4095
  • • Each VLAN ID must be separated by a “+” character
  • • The string must be terminated by a semi colon “;”
  • • All characters after the semi colon “;” will be ignored
  • • There must be no white space before the semi colon “;”
  • • VLAN IDs may be decimal, hex, or octal

The following DVD strings will result in the phone using VLAN 10:

VLAN-A=10;
VLAN-A=0x0a;

VLAN-A=012;

Best regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

which switch config did you use that worked from your orginal post???

switchport access vlan 20
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 5
priority-queue out
mls qos trust cos
auto qos voip trust
spanning-tree portfast

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 20
switchport trunk allowed vlan 20, 5
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast
HP Recommended

Scenario: DHCP is needed to assign IP phones an IP address. The ports the phones will be plugged into will connect the IP phone and the PC, which will be plugged in to the back of the IP phone.

The switch will need to have 2 VLANs on it, one for voice and one for data. The port the phone is plugged into will need to be assigned to the data VLAN as untagged and the voice VLAN as tagged

The call server (IP phone system) will be plugged into a port assigned only to the voice VLAN. There will also need to be a DHCP server on the data VLAN and the voice VLAN.

For Avaya IP phones, there is a need to create a custom option in the DHCP server named SSON, the option number will be 176. The string value of this option is:

“MCIPADD=#.#.#.#,MCPORT=1719,TFTPSRVR=#.#.#.#,L2Q=1,L2QVLAN=0″

The VLAN is set by the L2QVLAN parameter. L2Q=1 enables VLAN tagging.

The option 176 will have to reside in the data VLAN DHCP server as well as the voice VLAN DHCP server. The reason is as follows: When a phone is plugged into the port that is untagged for data and tagged for voice it will speak on the untagged network. This is because the IP phone does not know what VLAN the voice resides on. If there is a DHCP server on the data VLAN that tells the phone (with option 176) to use the voice VLAN tag, the phone will accept this reboot and come up on the voice VLAN. At that time the IP phone will accept the DHCP offer from the voice VLAN DHCP server.

If there is not a DHCP server on the data VLAN, the IP phones will have to have the VLAN ID manually assigned. This can be done by pressing * when the phone is waiting for a DHCP offer; this is identified on the IP phone screen with DHCP # of seconds and * to program. Make certain the 802.1Q = Auto or on. Next set the VLAN ID= to the voice VLAN ID. VLANTEST can be left at default. When asked to save the new values say yes (#) and reboot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.