Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello, I have a strange issue with some soundpoint ip331 phones.  When they are plugged into the network it takes acouple of days before they "get" an IP address and complete the startup process.

The set up is fairly simple, there are two VLANs at the site, routing between the two is by the routers, and there is a helper address on the interface (see drawing).   If i connect to VLAN 1 the phone starts fine, if i connect it to VLAN 64 the phone takes a couple of days before it accepts the IP address.

What I have found is that the the phone does receive an IP address, and does accept it, the server then acknowledges, then the process starts all over again (see packet capture).  It's like the phone gets stuck in a dhcp cycle, laptops don't have this issue.

the phone has software - rev nr. 4.3.0.0246
I have tried various switchport configs (cisco switches), and and tried setting the VLAN on the phone statically, and letting it negotiate. nothing seems to make a difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions what might be the issue/ cause?

Thanks

AJB

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello ajb,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

I have not personally heard of such case but the Software Version you quoted is the BootROM and not the SIP / UC Software.

Therefore the Polycom VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Question: How can I find out my SIP UC Software Version or the BootROM Version of my Phone?
Resolution: Please check here

What type of phone is this ?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

The phone and software information is as follows;

Phone Model SoundPoint IP 331

Part Number 2345-12365-001

Rev. 1

MAC Address 00:04:F2:AD:B4:BF

IP Address 136.238.64.112

SIP Software Version 3.3.1.0933

BootROM Software Version 4.3.0.0246

Thanks

Ajb

HP Recommended

Hello ajb,

I suggest you update this phone to UC Software 3.3.5 or even 4.0.8 and then re-test.

As this Phone was bought back in December 2012 via Avikom the warranty has well expired so you cannot even raise a service ticket via them.

Please, once updated, post a complete wireshark from the DHCP / BootP process.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks, I will get a phone upgraded to the latest software, and then post the outcome.

Regards

Ajb

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.