Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

While this isn't strictly a VoIP issue, it affects a VoIP model, apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I have an issue where a Soundstation Duo is connected up with extension mics, it's brand new, and the same issue has been seen on an identical model without extension mics. Running on an Asterisk server in our office the mute lights on the phone and extension mics work perfectly when using the mute function, while in our clients site they don't light up at all when connected up to a similar server. They still work in the Diagnostics/LED testing however.

The only possible difference (I didn't witness this happening in our office but I definately saw it happen in the second site) a message popped up stating pre-3.3.0 settings were in a config file. I was considering diffing the configs to see if their is a difference, but I'm slightly doubtful it could be the cause.

This happens with both PoE and power supply connected.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello Rumbles,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

as these are fairly new units they should still be within their warranty and I can only suggest you contact your Polycom reseller and raise a ticket with Polycom support. 

Please provide the Part Numbers of all units and microphones involved and their hardware revisions.

For the error that appears please utilize the cfcUtility or check your boot / app log and remove the errors listed within your configuration.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffan,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I actually rang through on your support line about this last week, I talked to a man with a French accent called Steffen who told me the first unit was likely to be faulty (because the lights did not appear to work), so we returned it. It currently looks like the unit is not faulty, so now the head scratching must continue.

Thanks for the info about the CFC Utility, I will definately look in to this further on Monday, and I will consider raising a support ticket once I am back in work on Monday as well, as I don't have any parts numbers to hand today.

I will let you know how I get on, thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

I have run the cfcUtility on both sets of config files (sip.cfg, with the -r flag to provide what changes should be made) on both copies of the config files used on each server and the outputted files don't appear to have any differences between them. Sp to confirm I diffed the output files, the only differences I could find between the files on the office server where everything worked fine and those in the other office are that this was present in the RemovedParameters.txt for the other site and not for our own office:

Default: dialplan.digitmap

Also, there was this in NonDefaultValues.txt for my office:

dialplan.digitmap                                   '[2-9]11|0T|011xxx.T|[0-1][2-9]xxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxT'  '[2-9]11|0T|011xxx.T|[0-1][0-9]xxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx

I'm feeling less sure this issue is down to config options now. I think I will call your support line to see what other causes there could be for this issue.

HP Recommended

After further correspondance with our Suppliers and Polycom I am still no closer to a soltuon. Polycom advised they tested my config files on their server on a Duo and the lights stopped working. So I ran CFCUtility on our config file (sip.cfg) and applied it on the server. The Duo lights still didn't work correctly, and their other phones (IP 321) rebooted every 2 minutes and lost dial tone. Returning the original sip.cfg fixed this.

Do I _HAVE_ to run CFCUtility on every config file (ie the macnumber.cfg and phonemacnumber.cfg files) as well, as the instructions did not specify?

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Hello Rumbles,

the cfcUtility should only be used on the sip.cfg and phone1.cfg or any other created configuration file that contains parameters.

the 000000000000.cfg / <mac>/cfg does not contain any parameters that need converting.

A phone-macnumber.cfg is a manually created file and I can only assume would contain parameters.

Basically since UCS 3.3.0 the phones no longer need to load a file that specifies via the parameters the correct functionality of the Phone.

Since UCS 3.3.0 only Parameters that differ from the original values should be loaded. This enhanced troubleshooting by a multitude and eliminates any issues introduced by utilizing non compatible older sip/phone1.cfg files with newer SIP Versions.

The SoundStation Duo will only run on UCS 4.0.0 or newer and therefore is completely unaware of the "old" concept of using a sip.cfg / phone1.cfg as they simply no longer exist since UCS 3.3.0.

Please email me via Forum mail the MAC address of the SoundStation Duo so I can follow this up internally.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffan,

Just as an update Keith in your Support department has helped me resolve this issue, he advised that the issue was down to the configs being loaded onto the phone and leaving it in a bit of a state because, as you mention the Duo is only designed for post 4.0 configs and our server forced pre 3.3.0 configs on it, even factory resetting the phone at that stage didn't work.

In this situation I was advised the only way to fix would be to load the latest configs on a machine with a tftp server (3cDaemon) set the phone to a stasatic IP as well as the other machine, isolated from the main network to avoid it pulling in the config off the exisiting server, resetting the file system, then manually configuring the phone. Alternatively we could have changed the configs on the server to be the latest ones, however as we didn't want to break the other phones on the network we felt the first method would be best for a start.

Quoted from Support:

What I suggest is that because the phone behavior is in an unknown state. Build a UCS 4.x environment on a laptop, install a FTP/TFTP server, point the phone to it and upgrade the phone software and format the file system. Then, as we will now have the phone in a known stable state, configure it for re-introduction into the production environment and re-test – whilst ensuring that it will not touch the production provisioning server (which is likely to re-introduce the original problem).  

You can download the 4.0.2b split download from here:-
http://support.polycom.com/PolycomService/support/us/support/voice/soundpoint_ip/soundpoint_ip670.ht...

Thanks for all the help!

HP Recommended

Hello Rumbles,

I spoke to Keith yesterday regarding this issue and am glad that he could assist you.

Thanks for getting back

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.