Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

UC 4.01 directory

Highlighted
Advisor

UC 4.01 directory

Hi,

What would be the best way to implement a global 0000000000-directory.xml but a the same time allow users to modified it. And have any changes made on the phones to automatically upload a mac-directory.xml to the provisioning server.

Also, are these parameters still valid for 4.01? I do not see them in the admin guide.

<directory dir.local.readonly="1" dir.local.volatile.2meg="1" dir.local.nonVolatile.maxSize.2meg="20" dir.local.volatile.4meg="1" dir.local.nonVolatile.maxSize.4meg="50" dir.local.volatile.8meg="1" dir.local.nonVolatile.maxSize.8meg="100" dir.local.volatile.maxSize="300" />
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: UC 4.01 directory

It seems that the phone will not update when changes are made to 0000000000-directory.xml even after reboot.

Is there a parameter to force the phones to update?

Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Hello Simon,

the 000000000000-directory.xml is only loaded once the Phone boots the 1st time.

The UCS 3.3.0 Admin Guide mentions this for example on page 4 - 10:

These files can be downloaded once per reflash

I have not yet located the same Information in the UCS 4.0.1 Guide and will highlight this to our documentation team and create a FAQ around the Local Directory.

In order to minimize Administration on your end I would suggest to use LDAP as the License is now free and / or included for certain Phones. You can download this from => here <= for a whole Site.

Once a Phone has been provisioned and the user makes changes or the Phone reboots it should upload their individual <mac>-directory.xml

In order to answer your first question (you should really work with your reseller and/or Polycom Support via PPI) these Parameters have not existed since UCS 3.3.0 and I recommend you get familiar with the cfcUtility.

Removed Parameters when utilizing this:

Obsolete: dir.local.nonVolatile.maxSize.2meg
Obsolete: dir.local.nonVolatile.maxSize.8meg
Obsolete: dir.local.volatile.2meg
Obsolete: dir.local.volatile.4meg
Obsolete: dir.local.volatile.8meg

Please ensure you always consult the Admin Guide !

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

----------------
The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is a community setting and does not reflect my role. I am just a simple volunteer in the community like everybody else. My official "day" Job is 3rd Level support at Poly but I am unable to provide official support via the community.

----------------

Notice: This community forum is not an official Poly support resource, thus responses from Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge. If you need immediate and/or official assistance please open a service ticket through your proper support channels.
Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Advisor

HI Steffen,

Thank you for your response. Does Polycom plan to modified the behavior of the 000000000000-directory.xml so that it can be loaded more than once? LDAP is not an option in my case. Is there a script that can copy/rename the 000000000000-directory.xml into mac-dir.xml files derived from a csv?

Message 4 of 8
Highlighted

Hello Simon,

it does not require a fully blown Microsoft Windows Server with Active Directory, you can just use Open LDAP on a Linux Box if needed.

I have created a FAQ entry explaining the 000000000000-directory.xml / <mac>-directory.xml => here <= and changes to the standard behavior need to be raised via a Feature Request => here <= with a business case to explain the need for the change.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

----------------
The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is a community setting and does not reflect my role. I am just a simple volunteer in the community like everybody else. My official "day" Job is 3rd Level support at Poly but I am unable to provide official support via the community.

----------------

Notice: This community forum is not an official Poly support resource, thus responses from Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge. If you need immediate and/or official assistance please open a service ticket through your proper support channels.
Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Hi Simon,

A work around is to copy 000000000000-directory.xml to <mac-addr-of-your-polycom-sip-phone>-directory.xml but it needs to be be done for each phone.

Easy way is to create a simple batch job file: - eg below

copy /Y 000000000000-directory.xml 0004F2E1DD6B-directory.xml
copy /Y 000000000000-directory.xml 0004F21ED0FE-directory.xml

Than after each time a phone reboots it gets updated Phone Directory.

The solution isn't great but it works.

Paul

Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Did this FAQ ever get created as I have just upgraded to 4.0.1 and need to make the 000000000000-directory.xml file be loaded into the phones configuration on every reboot.

Is this possible in 4.0.1 (without resorting to LDAP)?

Thanks

Paul

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted

Hello Paul,

the example FAQ was created as already replied above by myself.

A change in the current behavior needs to be raised via a feature request as already explained.

Currently there is no change to the behavior.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

----------------

----------------

Message 8 of 8