Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello all – I've been beating my head against a wall and need a fresh perspective.

I have some phones using a central provisioning server. After upgrading the phones to UC 4.0.3f, they won't retain their local settings (background, backlight timer, headset settings, ringtone, etc.). For testing, I've been setting the backlight idle intensity (Menu > 3 > 1 > 3 > 2) on my SPIP650 to "off."

When I reboot my phone and check out the setting as soon as the softkeys appear, I see my preference as it was before I rebooted (backlight off), but only while it says "Network link is down." As soon as the network starts, the backlight setting goes back to "low." I do not set this value in my config, so I don't know where the phone is pulling this config value from. The attached files are the complete config settings the phone retrieves.

I know the Admin Guide says that the settings are stored in the flash memory and in a config file that the phone attempts to upload, but we don't allow uploads. This has never been an issue in the past; the phones remembered their settings just fine on SIP 3.2.5.

Any help (or nudges in the right direction) would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Got it figured out, not that Polycom Support helped in any way.

Our config was being sent to the phone with the name "<mac>-phone.cfg"; this is also the name of the default config that every phone asks for.

By naming our config file the same as the default, our server was responding to both file requests. The phone would then treat the second config as if it was the default and ignore anything the user might have set locally.

Solution: I changed the name of our config file to "phone<mac>.cfg".

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello Aaron,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

I tried that quickly today with the same phone and same software and cannot confirm this.

The phone writes its <mac>-phone.cfg and returns to the backlight off menu setting.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

The phone writes its <mac>-phone.cfg and returns to the backlight off menu setting.

I don't allow the phones to write files to the provisioning server.

Are you saying that the phone writes its <mac>-phone.cfg and stores that file locally? Or are you saying that settings on the phone will not be saved locally at all?

HP Recommended

Hello Aaron,

I did a quick test with a SPIP650 running UCS 4.0.4.

Changing the exact same settings as yourself with either:

• Provisioning Server turned off
  • Provisioning Server turned on but not allowing to write files

The result is always the same.

The Phone retains its settings after a reboot via Menu => Settings => Advanced => Reboot the Phone.

You may need to raise this via your Polycom reseller and/or Polycom support.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks for the insight, Steffen.

I opened a ticket with Polycom Support on behalf of all our affected devices, but the ticket was cancelled because their records showed that my phone was sold to a reseller. I'm trying to fight them to actually pay attention to my issue.

HP Recommended

Got it figured out, not that Polycom Support helped in any way.

Our config was being sent to the phone with the name "<mac>-phone.cfg"; this is also the name of the default config that every phone asks for.

By naming our config file the same as the default, our server was responding to both file requests. The phone would then treat the second config as if it was the default and ignore anything the user might have set locally.

Solution: I changed the name of our config file to "phone<mac>.cfg".

HP Recommended

Hello Aaron,

not knowing who you have communicated with (may send me the Polycom ticket number so I can verify this) I am unable to comment on above.

The Polycom SIP / UCS Admin Guide mention this or similar message:

Tip: Choosing the File Name for a Per-Phone Configuration File
Do not use the following file names as your per-phone file name: <MACaddress>-phone.cfg, <MACaddress>-Web.cfg, <MACaddress>-app.log, <MACaddress>-boot.log, or <MACaddress>-license.cfg. These file names are used by the phone itself to store user preferences (overrides) and logging information.

If above is ignored then the outcome would be the same as you experienced.

I am quite sure this is also mentioned in some of the FAQ post's.

Thanks for clarifying this and hopefully other users see or find this post and will not make the same mistake.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Thanks, Steffen. I'm not sure how I missed that in my original provisioning development.

Hopefully no one else makes this mistake, but just in case, I hope this thread helps anyone if they run into similar behavior.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.