Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

UCS vs SIP

SOLVED
Advisor

UCS vs SIP

With the exception of compatibility with some specific PBX system, why would I want to use SIP or UCS? What are the pros/cons? I searched for some kind of document that might address this, but found nothing.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: UCS vs SIP

Hello 24x8,

the name change is just highlighting the Unified Communication compatibility of the newer UC Software.

Older SIP version will only receive Hot Fixes but usually no additional software features and are only maintained for our partners in the field to guarantee the functionality and compatibility with their equipment.

The UCS Admin Guide explains the UC Software in Detail.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 2 of 4
Advisor

Thanks for the quick reply. Just so I'm clear, "UCS" is just a name change--UCS 4.x.x is just the next release after SIP 3.x.x?

Message 3 of 4
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Yes,

along with many new features and new Phones (VVX500 & Spectralink 8400)

SIP was up until SIP 3.2.x

UCS is since UCS 3.3.x

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 4 of 4