Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I recently purchased six brand new VVX 310 series phones. They came boxed and supposedly ready to work with RingCentral - the one problem I'm running into however is when I plug them into our network, they refuse to obtain a IP address. Any idea why? Is there a setting I'm missing? I did my best to look through other support articles but turned up empty-handed.

Thanks

-Eric

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Eric,

One cause of this is having DHCP options set for the phones to use a specific vLan and that vlan not being configured on the switch port.  There are a few quick things you can try.  Does a PC work in that same port?  Does a PC work plugged into the PC port on the phone when the phone is plugged in to that port?

Here is some information on using vLans with the phones.

http://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP/FAQ-Utilizing-VLAN-s-with-Polycom-phones/td-p/38100

HP Recommended
When I plug the network plug directly into the computer it works fine, when I plug it into the phone and into the computer It won't get DHCP on the phone or computer.
HP Recommended

Hello etbenterprises,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

As already outlined by James it would be interesting if your organisation is using VLAN's or if you are using a simple switch in a non corporate environment.

in addition it would also be of interest if there is any kind of MAC address security feature being utilized or something more complex as 802.x

Also are you using a fully wired Cat 5 cable using all 8 wires?

Providing a little bit more detail may assist the community to solve your issue before you need to call your Polycom reseller for support.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended
Our comcast modem plugs into our router (simple DHCP one, not business class) and then the router runs to the phone. There are no Vlans or even file servers in-house. It's a very basic network setup, about what you would see in a residental environment. I wired all of the cat5e cables myself - standard 8pinout. They work great on the desktops, DHCP works, etc. It'z just the phones that won't obtain a lease.
HP Recommended

Hello etbenterprises,

the next step would now be to setup Wireshark via a spanned port or other means on your Router if possible and check the communication between the Phone and the router and then compare this with the PC and the Router.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

etbenterprises,

Sounds like getting a packet capture in your environment might be challenging.  The PC port in the phone’s switch should work even if the phone doesn’t have a valid IP configuration. You can see the phone’s Ethernet status under Settings/Status/Network/Ethernet, dose the phone show the Lan port as active with valid speed and duplex settings?  If the Lan port is active check under Settings/Status/Network/Network Statistics the Rx Packets counter should increment if the phone is receiving traffic from the switch.

Other things to try if you haven't already, factory reset on the phone, try a commercial patch cable.

Do you have more then one phone having this issue?

HP Recommended

They ordered the entire batch of phones to work with our RingCentral provider - every one of the phones after unboxing has the same issue and they're all new factory sealed. I'll give your suggestions a try and report back ASAP. Thanks again for all of your support and quick responses. This particular office that I'm trying to help out is about 90 minutes away from my primary service area, but I'm headed there right now.

One of the odder things that I noticed was that all of these phones seemed to be originating from Australia, since the warranty paperwork and licensing stuff is all written out of that country. Not sure if that may have an influence on the factory default settings or not. Just figured I would throw that out there.

Also to power the phones, we are using PoE 48V brick supplies - network wire runs in one end of the brick, then out the other end with the voltage. I'm bringing alternate bricks today to see if maybe the one we were test running with is defective. I was able however to use the brick and plug into a computer and obtain DHCP, so I'm guessing that is not the issue.

Thanks again everyone.

HP Recommended

With the commute to your customer’s site in mind here are some random thoughts

If you are getting Link then you’re going to have to do a packet capture.  Many consumer grade switches don't allow you to span ports.  If you can get a cheap 10/100Mbps HUB(Not Switch, a useful tool to have!) you can put that between the phone and switch and do your capture off one of the ports on the HUB.

If you are not getting link something might be wrong with your switch.  Try connecting the phones to a different HUB/Switch and see if you get Link.

Steffen, can look up the reseller of the phones using the SN off one of them.  I would open the ticket while you are on site if possible, they will ask for some information.  Only so much can be done on a public forum.

HP Recommended

I am not getting any link  - the phone is saying that is is "inactive" under the network configuration. If I unplug the phone and plug the same line going from the PoE adapter into my laptop, the connection comes right up. I also do not get anything if I connect to the phone's computer port to my laptop - it's completely dead.

I tried a couple different 48V PoE adapters, different LAN plugs, etc. All no dice. This is really throwing me off.

The SN off one of the devices is 0004f2c04499

Shows DHCP as enabled under the phone information, as well as VVX 310 as the model number. 

Assembly: 3111-46161-001 Rev:A

I've used Wireshark before, but if the LAN port is coming up as INACTIVE, then I don't see how I can really troubleshoot anything. 0 packets sent/received.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.