Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello Curt,

prior to you posting only 2 other users complaint about the lack of this functionality within this post.

Again this was on Asterisk Digium so not even sure this is applicable to a Broadsoft solution. 

The other post we do not even know what call platform this is about.

Again we can only prioritize features that have an high impact on sold units.

With multiple million of users out there using the BroadSoft platform I can only assume that this is either not a problem for them or you are using it the wrong way.

I suggest you contact BroadWorks directly in order to clarify this and if this really still needs a feature request you and the other 3 users can get together and request this.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

SteffenBaierUK

Excuse me for being blunt here, but Polycom makes it very hard to request a feature without using a big vendor.  Big vendors are unfriendly and so most of us source through smaller vendors and they tell me that the get essentially no resolution to feature requests from down the line.

Every single Polycom shop/provider that I know that uses Asterisk has complained about this lack of functionality.  Every single one, no exception, no exageration.  Your response is to tell me to collect feature request numbers through vendors that are unable to get these things done.  It's a beaurocratic mess.

On topic here, essentially everyone that uses asterisk and polycoms is using a park feature key and a BLF to retrieve, or they are using dedicated buttons for park and different for retrieve.  These are work-arounds that are essentially universal with asterisk users.

I DO NOT sell polycom phones anymore.  It's not just this, it's that I have absolutely zero support from polycom, the forums are a complete waste of time because polycom staffers just post some erratta or say 'contact a vendor for a feature'.  I'm only replying to this because I got a notification. 

You guys made room for other companies to make phones and compete.  You gave them time to refine their products.  Even lowly grandstream has a pretty decent phone these days and polycom doesn't have the edge anymore.  Some basic level of support for the guys in the field selling and installing these phones.

End of the day, yealink makes a good phone and I can do valet parks and get support.

HP Recommended

Hello dandenson,

let me clear up a few misconceptions.

1. You can only raise any tickets via Polycom reseller. This has always been the case since day one and if you choose to purchase from the cheapest source then you have to live with the lack of support.
    Purchasing via the big resellers will give you access to our support infrastructure.

Simply posting one of your MAC Addresses lets me identify them so you can open a ticket directly with them.

2. Using a platform like Asterisk is using an open source and therefore features may not be implemented like they would be in a dedicated platform.

3. You will have support from Polycom support if you follow the advise from 1.

I assume by Polycom staffers you mean myself so let me tell you a little bit about myself.

I work my day job in Tier 3 Support in EMEA. During my free time during work, outside of work or even during weekends and holidays I am trying to help people within this community. The countless FAQ post's and replying to post's is all done in my spare time.

Asking someone to seek official support is the only solution to get this into Polycom support so one of my colleagues or even myself can work on this.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

If you search call park on this forum only, you see it is a bit more than 2 people requesting this.  Parking and picking up on two different buttons is just silly.    Its a show stopper for us.

Apparently lighting the LED on  a parked call (on polycom) is an issue with our carrier (Broadsoft) which they claim they will fix in a future sw update.

The limitation of parking and picking up on the same button (like any other phone i have ever used) is a Polycom limitation according to our reseller.   During the sales process, this is not a question we thought to ask "Does the park function get split to 2 buttons".  Otherwise we would not choose polycom phones, and can not reccomend them to our customers.  I dont want to be laughed at as I explain park on this button and pickup the park on a another button, and hope your carrier is able to light the led on the parked call.  No thanks.

HP Recommended

There are hundreds of thousands of asterisk systems deployed, so it's no excuse the say 'it just an open source project so features aren't implemented the same way as....'

And 'go pay more for the hardware from a different vendor if you want support' is crap.

These forums have many posts asking how to handle call parks in a straight forward way, not 2.  And this isn't an asterisk or broadsoft problem that those vendors/projects need to fix, this is a polycom problem which can be evidenced by the half-dozen other phone vendors who's devices do valet parking properly.

We come to the forums because the support channel is effectively non-existant.  I've bought phones from vendors specifically to put tickets in and I have exactly zero resolutions EVER.  

I'm checking out of this thread because it's going no where, the next response is going to be 'you should use your vendor for support' despite that not being an effective method and that polycom is amsolutely unique in this crap model of support.  I hate polycom phones for all the workarounds to have basic and necessary features.

HP Recommended

Hello all,

If you are unwilling to post any MAC addresses I am unable to help.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

This Call parking "solution" is silly. We've been struggling with it for years and lost many clients for a lack of such a basic feature.

If this helps to get this implemented properly in addition to the "automata", here's a MAC address:

0004F2784AF1

HP Recommended

Hello paffy,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Westcon Group is the Reseller who we sold the phone via back in 26/08/2016

Depending on the amount of phones your business owns or sells you can therefore work with them on a Business Case to add better support for the feature.

Just as a reminder:

Jan 03, 2013 Question: How can I request a change to the current Polycom SIP / UC Software?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

The above outlines this process

Mar 8, 2012 Question: What kind of support should I expect from the Community?
Clarification: Please check => here <=

The above outlines what kind of support you can get from the community

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Hi all,

I have run this by one of our senior engineers and his answer's are below:

Here's loads of info.

Hopefully something in here can help the guy but it will take some back and forth and a lot of trial and error 😄

When BLF is used for a park orbit, the intent is for the "resource type" to be "automata". The "resource type" affects the behaviour when pressing the BLF key and a call is active either locally or at that resource.

• Automata invokes park (ie: blind transfers using REFER) and pickup events (INVITE w/ replaces or by star code). Pickup attempts may occur on both ringing lines (flashing green) AND on an already confirmed line (solid red).
  • Normal resource type only performs directed call pickups on ringing lines and won't try to pickup, retrieve or intercept anything on an already confirmed line– if tried, you will instead place a normal call to that destination.

When a BLF is showing ringing state or confirmed state, your automata BLF will try one of 2 things:

• If you have no current calls, touching the key tries to pickup
  • If you have an active call, touching the key tries to park the active call, even if the BLF shows that there is already something there

For the state of a park orbit, different vendors use different states. Originally, we only accepted the "early" (using RFC terminology) which is the same as ringing state. This is how Metaswitch and SipX do it. It seems that the Asterisk uses the confirmed state.

I am unsure when when it changed, but originally we could only perform a pickup on a ringing line and never on an acive line (as evidenced by the SPIP SW still on 4.0.x). I gave a quick test on UCS 5.4.5 and see that my VVX tried to send a INVITE w/ replaces to pickup while its BLF line showed active so somewhere along the line, we opened up our solution space a bit.

Now onto the mechanics. Legacy Star codes versus native SIP methods.

The guys capture and description in the forum implies asterisk is using both.

• His park works and is using the native SIP REFER with a refer-to: 72@IPAddress

• Notifications go out to all the phones in frames 1179-1181. IT is CRUCIAL to note that in that NOTIFY there is no target URI information or call-id and tag information. Without that data, the phone CANNOT construct an INVITE with Replaces and so we MUST use star codes to pickup the call

• His pickup fails. I assume this is in frame 2825.

The phone is most likely still configured in its default mode and using native SIP for its actions and so in the absence of needed tag, call-id and target uri info for the resource it is monitoring does its best to do something… and all it can do is try to call that configured address at 72@IPADDRESS and thus pickup fails
    • Had we used configuration to manipulate the pickup method, we could have had it send something different based on our static configuration. We have some parameters that let us manipulate the mechanics of the signaling but it will take some tweaking on their part to fine tune it into a working setup.
      Ideally Asterisk has some configuration to provide more info in the dialog NOTIFYs but I'm not familiar with Asterisk administration so I'll leave that alone for now.

I have an old BLF technical brief on this subject that you can read or share around. Its not a formal doc and so isn't posted on any web site.

If I had to take a pure guess at how to handle this I would suggest the following configuration:

call.parkedCallRetrieveMethod="legacy"
call.parkedCallRetrieveString="*2"  -> this is the string we send when the call is in "confirmed" state (solid red)
voipPort.SIP.useCompleteUriForRetrieve="0"
voIpProt.SIP.useLocalTargetUriforLegacyPickup="0"
voIpProt.SIP.strictReplacesHeader="0"

other related params we aren't using:

call.directedCallPickupString="xxx"   -> We use this parameter for when retrieving from a call in early state (flashing green). Asterisk seems to be using the "confirmed" state for park so I don't think we need use this parameter. If in doubt, set to "*2" as well

for interest sake, here's what a complete BLF dialog notify should look like with all relevant fields:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <dialog-info xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:dialog-info" version="9" state="partial" entity="sip:3339951742@as-dev.vancouver.polycom.com">
    <dialog id="id03d1667c" call-id="BW121335770060117130519749@172.24.31.180" local-tag="C4ACD189-342D66F0" remote-tag="2016120192-1483733615770-" direction="recipient">
    <state>confirmed</state>
    <local>
                <identity display="Brad Marusiak 1742">sip:3339951742@as-dev.vancouver.polycom.com</identity>
                <target uri="sip:1742@10.242.16.28">
                                <param pname="x-line-id" pval="0" />
                </target>
    </local>
    <remote>
                <identity display="Brad Marusiak 1741">sip:3339951741@as-dev.vancouver.polycom.com</identity>
                <target uri="sip:1741@as-dev.vancouver.polycom.com">
                </target>
    </remote>
    </dialog>
    </dialog-info>

And here is what the asterisk is sending. Not much to work with!

Message Body

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <dialog-info xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:dialog-info" version="34" state="full" entity="sip:72@192.168.106.254">
    <dialog id="72">
                 <state>confirmed</state>
    </dialog>
    </dialog-info>

Best regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.