Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi Polycom,

I'm doing some testing with the Polycom VVX 500 and 600 series and found that esalation of an audio call towards a video call seems to fail. The Webcam microphone and desktop speakers are suddenly used instead of the VVX phones.

I'm using these versions:

Lync 2013 server backend

Lync 2010 Client running windows 7

Better together over ethernet (BToE) version 2.1.0

UCS 5.0.1 on the vvx 500 and 600 phones

Is there any technical explenation?

I'm gathering sip traces now.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello JonathanS,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

I have found a similar sounding case internally and would advise you to work with your Polycom reseller to bring this to the attention of Polycom support.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello JonathanS,

after re-reading this again could be please specify what call scenario you are using?

Is this from a LYNC client calling a VVX and then adding Video from the LYNC Client end or what are you doing?

Note: The support for Lync video calls with UC Software 5.0.0 is limited to the following scenarios when using Lync 2010:

1. In Lync 2010 environment Point-to-Point video calls between VVX 500/600 IP phone and another VVX 500/600 phone is supported.
  2. Point-to-Point video calls between VVX 500/600 and Lync Client 2010 are supported.
  3. Video Call transfers and Call forward from Lync Client party to another user with VVX 500/600 or vice-versa are supported.
  4. Video sessions between a registered remote user and a video capable in-premise enterprise user (VVX 500/600 or Lync Client) are supported.
  5. Video call sessions between federated users with endpoints as VVX 500/600 or Lync Client are supported.
  6. Video calls in Lync 2013 environment are not supported due to lack of support to H.264 or RTV in UCS 5.0.0.

Please be aware of the following when utilizing UCS 4.1.0 or later:

The use of Polycom UC Software versions 4.1.X (“Software”) requires the purchase of a separate Software license for every device that will use the Software in a Lync environment. You may not install, access, or use the Software in a Lync environment on more devices than are listed on your license until additional licenses have been purchased and authorized by Polycom. These licenses should be purchased from the same company from which you purchased the devices. You may operate devices against a Lync server for trial purposes for up to 30 days without purchasing a license. Use of the Software is subject to the terms and conditions of the End User License Agreement.

Polycom reserves the right to audit your deployment to verify that you have sufficient licenses to match the number of devices being used.

Information in regards of License Part Numbers can be found => here <=

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

So having a look a bit further.

A party

I have a Windows 7 desktop with lync 2010 and the BToE connector. The Desktop is provisoned with a Logitech webcam. There is a speaker connected to the desktop but should not be used.

De vvx 500 runs UCS version 5.0.1 is connected via BToE with the desktop. There is no camera module on the vvx 500.

B party

WIndows 7 desktop with lync 2010 client and logitech webcam and speakers.

An audio call is initiated from the A party to the B party using the desktop client. The call is setup by signaling between the A party VVX and the B party. Media flows directly between the A party VVX and the B party.

After 10 seconds the video button is used on the A party lync 2010 desktop client. The call is tranfered from the polycom vvx to the desktop. A new invite is send from the A party desktop to the B party. The call session between the VVX and the B party ends with a Bye with MS-diagnostics reason: Personal tranfer. The audio call continues quite seamless in the new session between the a and b party desktops and video is displayed.

So the signaling seems to work very good, and after diving into it it looks really cool! Compliments for that.

The only issue is that the wrong speakers are used on the A party. Instead of using the VVX 500 as an "USB speaker" like the CX600 does. Even when using custom configuration we cannot get it to work. Of course we require to use the automatic configuration of Lync devices for large roleout.

In essence its a device configuration issue in the Lync 2010 client that we are looking at. The next test is to use the Lync 2013 client in the same setup.

HP Recommended

So just to add more information.

I cannot change the initial post description but I would like to change it to this:

"I'm doing some testing with the Polycom VVX 500 and 600 series and found that esalation of an audio call towards a video call seems to fail. The desktop speakers and Microphone are suddenly used instead of the VVX phone speaker and microphone. However there is no sound."

Basically if i go the the Lync client and choose the audio device configuration screen, with the polycom vvx phone selected, I'm not able to generate sound on the VVX 500 as it was on the CX600 using the USB cable. Sound is played on the available speakers. If I would manually configure the sound devices I'm warned when selecting the polycom devices for both speaker and microphone.

When I disabled the speaker playback device from the windows system, a message from BToE pops up saying:

"Configured Speaker device is ont available. Please restart Polycom BToE Connector to have full audio capabilities."

So I restarted the polycom BToE connector... But it did not make a difference.

It seems that the phone transfers the call exactly like the cx600 does by using signaling. However the difference is that with the cx600 you actually see the switch from a connected call to usb audio device functioning as a speaker for the desktop system.

Our goal is to provision 1 IP Phone allongside a desktop with only a webcam. It is fine if the web cam microphone is used, but the IP phone speaker should be used for conversation like it was possible on the CX600.

The reason for stearing for the vvx 500 and 600 is that its a newer phone platform and the lync phone editions might not have a  livespan left as the VVX 500 and 600 series have..

HP Recommended

Hello JonathanS,

the current BToE software has not the exact same feature set as the similar "Better together" implementation offered by USB version.

We therefore currently do not stream Audio or Video via the BToE connectivity to the LYNC client.

I am not aware if this is planned on a feature roadmap but found an internal reference VOIP-84530.

I suggest you work with your Polycom reseller to bring this to the attention of a Polycom sales Engineer so you can work with them in order to present a business case if this functionality is required.

In order to officially use any UCS 4.1.0 or newer software with LYNC please be aware of the following:

The use of Polycom UC Software versions 4.1.X (“Software”) requires the purchase of a separate Software license for every device that will use the Software in a Lync environment. You may not install, access, or use the Software in a Lync environment on more devices than are listed on your license until additional licenses have been purchased and authorized by Polycom. These licenses should be purchased from the same company from which you purchased the devices. You may operate devices against a Lync server for trial purposes for up to 30 days without purchasing a license. Use of the Software is subject to the terms and conditions of the End User License Agreement.

Polycom reserves the right to audit your deployment to verify that you have sufficient licenses to match the number of devices being used.

Information in regards of License Part Numbers can be found => here <=

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.