Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

VVX Multicast Paging - TTL

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

VVX Multicast Paging - TTL

Hello,

I am having difficulties getting Multicast paging to work when more than 1 hop (router) is in play. I have 2 routers depoloyed using the same subnet, with polycom phones behind nat. I currently have the routers plugged in back-to-back to simulate 1 LAN. The routers are setup to listen for multicast routing between eachother. After working with my router vendor they mentioned i need to ensure my polycom phones are setup for more than 1 TTL when multicast paging otherwise my setup will not work. This is the only setting that i have not checked. How do i go about verifying the Time-to-live for mutlicast paging on VVX series phones?

Thanks,

Caleb

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Re: VVX Multicast Paging - TTL

forgot to mention... Our phones are running version 5.2.2.0501.

Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Frequent Advisor

I would personally first do a packets capture using port mirroring on a switch or directly in the first router if available to check the TTL value of the packet.

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Hello Caleb and all,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The PTT or Paging Multicast has a TTL of 64:

PTT_Paging_TTL.PNG

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

----------------
The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is a community setting and does not reflect my role. I am just a simple volunteer in the community like everybody else. My official "day" Job is 3rd Level support at Poly but I am unable to provide official support via the community.

----------------

Notice: This community forum is not an official Poly support resource, thus responses from Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge. If you need immediate and/or official assistance please open a service ticket through your proper support channels.
Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Steffen! I found a configuration error on my Adtran routers (once i fixed the error, paging worked fine). Glad to find out that the TTL for multicast paging is 64 though as this will be helpful for multicast routing between subnets.

Message 5 of 5