Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We made some calls from Polycom phones (Soundpoint 4.0.13 and VVX 5.6.0.17325) into reConServer and observed that the phones  were not sending any RFC 2833 RTP packets when DTMF keys were pressed.  Packet sniffer only shows regular size RTP packets coming from the phone.

I looked at the SDP answer from reConServer and compared that to SDP from other applications like Asterisk.  I noticed that in the SDP from reConServer, the encoding name "TELEPHONE-EVENT" is uppercase.  I tweaked the reCon code to send it as lowercase and then the Polycom phones recognize the encoding and the DTMF presses work.

RFC 4855 suggests that the encoding names should not be considered case sensitive:

https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/pipermail/sip-implementors/2012-July/028555.html

Note that the payload format (encoding) names defined in the RTP
   Profile [4] are commonly shown in upper case.  Media subtype names
   are commonly shown in lower case.  These names are case-insensitive
   in both places.  Similarly, parameter names are case-insensitive both
   in media type strings and in the default mapping to the SDP a=fmtp
   attribute.

Therefore, while we can work around this easily by adapting the reSIProcate and sipXtapi stacks to send "telephone-event" in lowercase, it is a bug in the Polycom implementation and it would be helpful to fix it for future releases.  While the majority of implementations write telephone-event in lowercase, there may be other encoding names that appear in future where implementations are not so consistent and Polycom users may trip up on this.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @pocock,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

First of all 5.6.0 is no longer supported. We only support the current Software aka 5.8.1 -1 which would be 5.8.0

If you insist on using 5.6.x you should use 5.6.4 instead.

If this is still the same issue please report this into Polycom via the Support Portal.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks for the fast reply, I'm happy to test with the current firmware and report back.

HP Recommended

Tested with 5.8.1.7278 and the problem appears to be unresolved

HP Recommended

Hello @pocock,

verifying an issue is not something we can do via the Polycom community as we need to look at Logs, Wireshark Captures and exchange direct communication with you as the user.

In addition we cannot commit to any SLA's / Service Line Agreements via the community either.

In order to raise a support ticket you need to work with your Polycom reseller as they need to do this for you.

End Customers are unable to open a ticket directly with Polycom support.

If this is some sort of an Internet discounter providing your MAC address or your Polycom devices serial will enable us to look up who would be able to support you. This may not be who you purchased the Polycom device from.

If the unit is no longer within warranty please be prepared to Pay Per Incident / PPI. This is all outlined in detail here

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.