VVX350 Obi Edition and Google Voice

SOLVED
Highlighted
Res
Occasional Visitor

VVX350 Obi Edition and Google Voice

I have one of the new VVX350 OBi editions.   The OBiTalk portal will register them and will also load the Google Voice settings, but these phones seem to fail connecting.   They get the result: "Connect Failed: 403 Forbidden (server=216.239.36.144"

On the surface, it would appear that the OBi settings are effectively the same as the older OBiHai devices that are working.  

Software version is: 6.3.0.0

Any ideas or pointers on where to troubleshoot?  

Only thing I see in syslog that seems odd is a broken connection, but after a 403 not sure that's really odd:

VVX350: TLS-EXT Hostname:deskphone.telephony.goog

VVX350: TCP:Connect OK(spreg)60

VVX350: Trying to connect ssl

VVX350: TC:ssl connected

VVX350: REG:HandleTcpEvent 2;wc=1

VVX350: TCP:Broken Connection(spreg) 60 -1

VVX350: REG:HandleTcpEvent 3;wc=0

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: VVX350 Obi Edition and Google Voice

Hello @Res ,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

ObiHai has its own forum here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/

Please for now post ObiHai related questions there.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Please be aware:

The purpose of these forums is to allow community members collaborate and help each other.
Questions posted here do not follow Polycom’s SLA guidelines.
If you require assistance from Polycom technical support, please open a
web service request or call us .

The above is necessary in order to track issue internally within Polycom.

You are welcome to post more questions or configuration or logs for other community members to look at but if your issue requires a fix via Polycom you must go via the official support structure.

Please ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

This forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Polycom employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and may be answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 2 of 7
Res
Occasional Visitor

The ObiTalk community doesn’t have anyone from ObiTalk ever respond. I did open an official support ticket with them but it’s been over a week and nobody there has responded. Also, the issue doesn’t appear to be technically with ObiTalk but this Polycom VVX 350’s ability to use it.

I would add that in the ticket, none of these Polycom phones are specifically listed to open an issue against.

Despite ObiTalk being a Polycom owned company and this being your phone, I don’t seem to be able to navigate where I can get someone to actually try and troubleshoot what is being advertised as a solution that should work. I suspect that something about these phones are actually being blocked by the ObiTalk platform, but seems like that shouldn’t happen since Polycom advertises that with this Obi firmware the solution works.
Message 3 of 7

Hello @Res ,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

This Polycom community covers Polycom Products that are not running the ObiHai software. This is run by volunteers as outlined here:

Mar 8, 2012 Question: What kind of support should I expect from the Community?
Clarification: Please check => here <=

As you already raised this with the ObiHai support team I would suggest to wait.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Please be aware:

The purpose of these forums is to allow community members collaborate and help each other.

You are welcome to post more questions or configuration or logs for other community members to look at but if your issue requires a fix via Polycom you must go via the official support structure.

Please ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

This forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Polycom employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and may be answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 4 of 7

Hello @Res ,

I double checked with the Product Manager on this and the ability to add the VVX to the Google Voice Platform is an error.

The VVX series running the ObiEdition software are not able to sign into Google Voice. This is a limitation on this platform and any other "older" ObiHai ATA or Phone should work.

We are removing the option for the VVX's from the ObiTalk portal.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Please be aware:

Message 5 of 7
Res
Occasional Visitor

Thank you. Disappointing, given that the marketing materials and even the VVX OBi Edition user guide (p14, p19) references Google Voice capability but it seems that it isn’t supported.

Appreciate your help. Hopefully the implication is that it will be added at some point.
Message 6 of 7

Hello @Res ,

most likely this is something we copied & pasted by accident from another model or guide. We should have removed this by the time we publish the next 6.3.1 release and guide.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Please be aware:

Message 7 of 7