Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Phones: VVX400 & VVX600

SIP Load version: 5.0.2.2756

I've got an issue on a few phones but I haven't been able to determine the cause. The issue is that when I load the web interface, the html page loads OK but the CSS, two JS, and logo resources do not return, instead each getting a 401 Unauthorized response from the phone.

If I browse to the full URL of any of the resources in the browser they load successfully, but only when only when the Referer header is not present in the HTTP header. The referer header for the attempts returning 401's are, for example, "http://10.12.68.65/".

This issue persist regardless of connecting to the phone via HTTP or HTTPS.

The URL's I've been using to test this are:

10.12.68.65/css/main_page.css

10.12.68.65/js/jquery.js

10.12.68.65/js/login.js

10.12.68.65/images/logo.png

Because the javascript files are not loading and the form is submitted for authorization with a javascript function from the login.js file, the login button always returns 401 unauthorized, as what happens when the javascript override doesn't kick in on the form submit is the form submitting to the root URL of the phone, which includes the referer header, causing a 401 to be returned for what would otherwise be the HTML for the login page.

We are using ZTP to point to our own provisioning server where we have a full config and firmware version which we push out. The same firmware version goes out to all phones.

I currently have one VVX400 and one VVX600 where I'm seeing the same issue, but other devices of the same models being provisioned the same way are fine. On the phones I'm seeing this on, the issue persists through a factory reset.

Has anyone seen anything like this and have any suggestions of what we can do to fix it? I've seen it across multiple firmware versions we've attempted, though I don't have a record of the other versions I've tried.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello bdx,

I have never heard of anything like this and not seen this myself either.

It would be good to check if you are running a firewall or similar or what browser this is happening with.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

The tests I am doing are across a wired LAN on the same subnet, devices connected to the same switch. It's definitely not a firewall issue, given that I've proven there's an issue on the devices displaying the error only when a Referal header is included in the HTTP headers.

The phone registers and provisions successfully, but I was wanting to get into the web interface of it to experiment with other configurations and add them to our provisioning files after that.

HP Recommended

Hello bdx,

I can only repeat myself that In my role as a T3 Escalation engineer I have not seen this for any customer in Europe, Middle East and Africa.

I am constantly accessing phones with various browsers (IE, Chrome or Firefox) and am not aware of any service tickets.

You have so far failed to provide the details on the Browser that you are using but as along as it is one of the above and used with the standard settings the web interface works.

If you are still seeing this with any of the above mentioned browsers and standard settings please raise a service ticket via your Polycom reseller.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Tested in IE11 and Chrome 35 on Windows 7

Tested in FF30 and Chrome 35 on OS X 10.9

I'll raise the ticket with the reseller, thank you

HP Recommended

I've been seeing this behavior today with a couple VVX400's. I get the same error unauthorized to the same files as you. What's strange though, I can load Safari and it loads the phone GUI as expected.

Mac OS 10, Latest Chrome and Safari.

Chrome works fine till I load up a config from our provisioning server on to the device. Im thinking it has to do with Cookies and Cache but cant prove that yet at this point. Just wanted to put my .02 in on this as I've been struggling with it for a couple hours and just figured out what the problem was using developer tool (firebug).

HP Recommended

A screenshot to help illustrate what is actually occuring.

http://imgur.com/RaPswou

HP Recommended

Last reply, problem solved.

Clearing Cookies AND cache resolved the above issue.

Have a good weekend. 🙂

HP Recommended

I have the same issue and clearing cookies and cache does not resolve it.  I'll be more specific.

If I use the IP address to access the admin console, I can login without any issue.  For example:

https://192.168.0.99

If I use the fully qualified domain name (FQDN), I get the exact same error as listed above (probably due to issues with how the JavaScript is loading as described by the original poster).  Example:

https://ext1234.mycompany.com

Error:

Authorization failed.

I have tried with DNS settings left blank on the phone as well as setting them to known internal DNS that properly resolve the FQDN and it doesn't matter.  The result is always the same.

I have tried this with many different firmware versions, from 4.x to the latest 5.7.x.  Same results every time, no matter what browser (and even on both Windows and Mac OS X).

HP Recommended
Please report this via your reseller

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.