Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I just recently swapped out my IP650 for a VVX410 with a sidecar.  Lovely phone, and overall, seems to work well.  Firmware is the latest (5.2.0), and it's being used with Asterisk (ie. SIP mode, not Lync mode).

Is there a light sensor or some sort of crazy motion sensor in this phone?  In my office, light levels near the phone fluctuate slightly - natural light ebb & flow, I move around, whatever.  When the light level increases, the phone lights up my extension and jumps to the "Enter number" prompt, shows recent calls, etc.  In the evening, I can stand away from the phone at my door and create the behavior reliably by just turning the lights off and on.

The config is quite vanilla.  A single registration to my Asterisk with 2 line appearances and a bunch of speed dials.  It's really distracting and a little maddening.  It feels like the phone is about to go after a role in a remake of The Exorcist.

How can I stop this behavior?  To demonstrate what I'm seeing, I shot a quick video from my phone.  Apologies for it not being the best quality, but it's good enough to see what it's doing.

For the curious - here's the config (sensitive stuff altered/redacted).  Alternate link to video.

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello jcostom,

You need to raise this via an RMA with your reseller. Your phone is defective.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello jcostom,

You need to raise this via an RMA with your reseller. Your phone is defective.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks Steffen.  I'm working with the partner now.

HP Recommended

Jcostom... the exact same thing is happening with 2 of my VVX410's. Did you determine the issue, or if the phone is defective?

HP Recommended

@jmcgarvey wrote:

Jcostom... the exact same thing is happening with 2 of my VVX410's. Did you determine the issue, or if the phone is defective?

The vendor swapped it out for me, and I'm all good now.  No more crazy behavior from the phone.

HP Recommended

Had the same trouble with one of the phones in our office too.  Tried switching it out with a working phone from another location,  switching data lines, etc, still had the same problem at that location.  We sent in the "bad" phone and received a new phone from our supplier.  Still had the same issues after installing the new phone.

The guy at the workstaion started keeping track of what he was doing and when the phone would start acting up.  After about 2 weeks he narrowed it down to when he turned on his desk lamp for a little extra lighting.  He had just replaced the old bulb with a halogen type.  Every time he turns the light on the phone acts up.  We took the lamp to other workstations and were able to reproduce the same issues with those phones too.

Two weeks of troubleshooting the issue and it turns out to be the lamp is messing with the phone.  He moved the lamp to the other side of his desk and hasn't had trouble since.

Not sure why, but only a halogen type bulb is causing the issue.

Hope this helps anyone else out there having problems.

HP Recommended

Hello fshrmn76,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Could you kindly post the HW revision details that are printed on the underside of the phone on the white label and the date by it ?

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

@fshrmn76 wrote:

Had the same trouble with one of the phones in our office too.  Tried switching it out with a working phone from another location,  switching data lines, etc, still had the same problem at that location.  We sent in the "bad" phone and received a new phone from our supplier.  Still had the same issues after installing the new phone.

The guy at the workstaion started keeping track of what he was doing and when the phone would start acting up.  After about 2 weeks he narrowed it down to when he turned on his desk lamp for a little extra lighting.  He had just replaced the old bulb with a halogen type.  Every time he turns the light on the phone acts up.  We took the lamp to other workstations and were able to reproduce the same issues with those phones too.

Two weeks of troubleshooting the issue and it turns out to be the lamp is messing with the phone.  He moved the lamp to the other side of his desk and hasn't had trouble since.

Not sure why, but only a halogen type bulb is causing the issue.

Hope this helps anyone else out there having problems.

Very interesting..  My office has halogen bulbs in the small recessed light cans in my ceiling.

I will say, however, that swapping out the phone resolved the problem for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.