Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Thanks to Poly, I am able to video-chat on my VVX 601 (UC 6.3.1.8427 camera 9.0.21). I am using it in an OpenSIP environment. SIP-Video worked right out of the box. With a powerful remote party, the camera delivers H.264 up to a blazing Level 5.1 with 1080p and 30 frames per second. It looks like Poly was very clever and the camera itself is doing all the encoding stuff; the phone just passes the H.264 from the camera through. Great!

However, I face three issues:

1. H.264 SPS: Constrained Baseline Profile

In the protocol analyzer Wireshark, I am looking at the raw data. If your video stream is not detected as RTP, right-click on it and decode it as RTP. If your RTP stream is not detected as H.264, go to the Menu Bar → Preferences → Protocols → H264, and enter the negotiated payload type from the SIP INVITE/SDP. Now, when I look at the H.264 Sequence-Parameter Set (SPS), my VVX sends not the Constrained Baseline Profile (CBP) but the normal one (BP). This was not negotiated in SDP. That is a software bug for sure because my VVX claims to support just CBP for receiving. Can somebody confirm my finding and report it internally?

2. Transmitting (Tx; video encoder)

The Administrator Guide 6.3 confused me when it comes to the supported Tx frame-sizes. On one page, the guide states: “VVX 5xx and 6xx with a USB camera support sending 720p resolution for Tx Frame size”. On another page, the guide states 1080p as maximum. Furthermore, I was able to trick the camera into much more Tx frame-sizes like “625 SD”, and “625 HHR”. However, I was not able to send 540p, 360p, or 270p. Can somebody update that guide and include all Tx frame-sizes for both alternative cameras?

3. Receiving (Rx; video decoder)

In the SDP of the SIP INVITE, the phone claims to be able to receive H.264 Level 1.3 (see RFC 3984 a=fmtp:99 profile-level-id=42800D). The Web and provisioning interfaces allow me to increase that to Level 2. Both levels support 352×288 (CIF) as maximum. That works great with a VVX 501 and its 4:3 display. However, on my VVX 601, with its 16:9 display, I get black bars (left and right). Furthermore, CIF is lower than the display resolution itself. I was able to feed 640×360 (360p = nHD = HVGAW) by sending the remote party a different a=fmtp in SDP. Looks really great! 720p (HD) did not work. I did not test 540p (qHD). Long story short, two questions:

3.1 Can somebody update the Administration Guide and include all Rx frame-sizes with their maximum frames-per-second for each model: VVX 50x, VVX 600, and VVX 601?

3.2 Surprisingly, the Administration Guide mentions one larger Rx format: SVGA (800×600). However, the guide does not explain how to trick a remote party into that. Again, the phone states not to be able to receive more than CIF. Besides that SVGA curiosity, the current a=fmtp does not leverage the 16:9 display on a VVX 60x. Can somebody double-check the a=fmtp in SDP?

I have no support channel to report this except writing postal letters to the CEO. Therefore, I am asking here in the community first. Perhaps, I have a complete misunderstanding.

Summary

Those sound like luxury problems because I went for the mighty VVX 601, right? However, those issues are about more, wrong usage of RFC 3984, particularly its SDP offer/answer model.

SDP sent

When a phone states, it supports just H.264 Level 2, the largest format is CIF – in both directions. RFC 3984 does not know a concept of upgrading the level or doing asymmetry in Rx and Tx. Because the phone states its level is 2, the maximum frame-size is going to match CIF. Consequently, the Administration Guide is wrong because it claims 720p and 1080p for Tx. Same for Rx, the SVGA statement in the Administration Guide is not possible because CIF is the maximum according to its SDP. If Poly wants asymmetry, the correct way would be to upgrade the (in the year 2011 obsoleted) RFC 3984 and go for RFC 6184. Then, the following SDP/fmtp would be possible for a VVX 60x:

a=fmtp:99 profile-level-id=42800D;level-asymmetry-allowed=1;max-fs=510;max-mbps=15300 ... which gave 270p@30fps.

And for a VVX 50x:

a=fmtp:99 profile-level-id=42800D;level-asymmetry-allowed=1 ... which gave CIF@30fps.

Those would be the "a=fmtp" for the SDP offer.

SDP received

VVX phones send the largest format for the offered level (see ITU-T H.264 Table A-6)†. This behavior is not OK. This is allowed only when also the received SDP contained level-asymmetry-allowed=1.

† Side note: Any max-... (RFC 3984) or imageattr (RFC 6236) got ignored in my tests. Therefore, I could not trick my VVX 601 into sending a 16:9 like 270p, which would be the best when two VVX 60x video-chat together.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @ishiCEnT ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

I am not sure what the reason for this post is as we are having many spammers recently copying random existing text but for your issue can you please answer the following:

• Is this a brand new VVX 601?

If yes then get this into support as instructed below:

In order to raise a support ticket, you need to work with your Poly reseller as they may need to do this for you.

End Customers are usually unable to open a ticket directly with Poly support. Available End User Poly services offerings are detailed here

If this is some sort of an Internet discounter providing your MAC address or your Poly devices serial will enable us to look up who would be able to support you. This may not be who you purchased the Poly device from.

If not and the unit is no longer within the warranty please be prepared to Pay Per Incident / PPI. This is all outlined in detail here

No need to send a postal letter to our CEO as our support organisation and our documentation can take care of everything once this is in support.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Not sure, I understand. I do not need support. I fixed this already for me. This is just a bug report. Furthermore, I made it public so others who stumble over the same issue can overwrite the a=fmtp if they are using a SIP-B2BUA. Anyway, the S/N on the phone is 64167f0a5691 and on the camera 18491610.

HP Recommended

Hello @ishiCEnT ,

The VVX 601 was sold by Ingram Micro HQ Germany back in 12/5/2017 so it is well out of warranty.

As I am not aware of any other customer reporting this as an issue, and this being a single phone, there is unfortunately not an awful lot we can do.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Actually this bug report helped me a lot!

I was looking far to long, why a safari/WebRTC - VVX601 call did not work. I expected a safari problem (since it worked with chrome), but thanks to this hint, I nailed the problem down to a poly problem!! What a waste of time!

I would appreciate if poly could look into reported problems, no matter if they are reported within guaranty / service or not!

(Especially since I waited once for month for a LDAP-problem to be fixed!)

HP Recommended

Hello @VoIP-HH ,

Welcome back to the Poly Community.

This is not how this works. We need a feature request in this case. Just because 1x person has reported an issue we have no way of following this up.

We are just volunteers here. 

For your other comment regarding LDAP again I have no idea what you are talking about and if this was reported via our support infrastructure. I can see you never followed up your own post >here<

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Dear Steffen

as you might recall, I opened a ticket (SR: 1-1278037604) and waited for more than 6 month for an updated firmware to finally fix the problem ... (4 minor releases later)

Regards

Jan-Hendrik

PS: I do appreciate your voluntary work in this forum.

Just as a reseller and voip-developer my personal opinion is, that these developer cycles to fix a problem are way to long. And problems are to be addressed as soon as they are known, no matter if the product is under warranty or not. (There should be a way for customers to report problems, even if they are out of warranty but the product is still sold.)

HP Recommended

Hello @VoIP-HH 

I vaguely remember this from back in 2015 but I assume you can understand that a user using some niche LDAP installation with an unknown number of endpoints cannot get the same attention as one of our larger clients.

I try to explain this here:

Mar 8, 2012 Question: What kind of support should I expect from the Community?
Clarification: Please check => here <=

and

Jan 03, 2013 Question: How can I request a change aka feature request to the current Poly ObiEdition / UC Software?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

The above needs to be taken into consideration and tested so we may only fix this when we have some slow cycles.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Are we talking feature requests or bug-fixes here?

(In my former case as well here, I thing we are talking about bugs!)

I expected the VVX phones to support h.264 with Constrained Baseline profile to work as expected (since version 5.9...). Unfortunately it does not and causes therefore video-WebRTC with Safari (and a SIP-gateway) not to run with VVX 601 phones.

Back in 2015, OpenLDAP-compability was also an officially claimed feature of the phone.

And unless proven otherwise, I consider OpenLDAP on debian everything but a niche installation.

(Based on this source one might even assume it was probably the most popular implementation on linux to run on. So you basically claim the niche problem was to actually use the TLS configuration options provided.)

But I think we should focus in this forum on other issues. I will therefore not follow up on this issue anymore.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.