Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I'm using a SoundPoint 320.

I followed the instructions for creating a custom (external) ring tone by using a config file like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<!-- PlcmConversionCreatedFile version=1.2 converted=Wed Oct 26 12:58:23 2011 -->
<polycomConfig xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="polycomConfig.xsd">
  <saf saf.2="LoudRing.wav" saf.3="PhoneBell.wav" />
  <se>
    <se.pat>
      <se.pat.ringer>
        <se.pat.ringer.ringer15 se.pat.ringer.ringer15.name="Loud Ring">
          <se.pat.ringer.ringer15.inst se.pat.ringer.ringer15.inst.1.value="2" />
        </se.pat.ringer.ringer15>
        <se.pat.ringer.ringer16 se.pat.ringer.ringer16.name="Phone Bell">
          <se.pat.ringer.ringer16.inst se.pat.ringer.ringer16.inst.1.value="3" />
        </se.pat.ringer.ringer16>
      </se.pat.ringer>
    </se.pat>
  </se>
</polycomConfig>

The file LoudRing.wav is the one that came with the Polycom software.  The file PhoneBell.wav is one I created from a sound clip on the Internet.

The logs on my ftp server show that all files (the config file and both WAV files) were downloaded to the phone.  The log file shows that the config file was used.

When I go to Menu, Settings, Basic, Ring Type, Line 1, I can scroll down and see that 15 is "Loud Ring" and 16 is "Phone Bell", but when I play them, I get the default sound.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found the solution was to convert the WAV file from PCM 16-bit 16000Hz, as it had been shipped, to G.711 8000Hz.  Then it worked.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello Steve,

I would just guess the file is to big.

Check your Phone logs.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

That could be it.  Upon closer examination, the FTP logs show that the WAV files were only partially transferred.  Only 89060 of 127966 for LoudRing.wav, and 91980 of 265522 for PhoneBell.wav.

According to this KB article, there is a limitation of 300k per ring tone.  And according to this one, the LoudRing.wav file is included in the SIP 3.2.0 release, to be used as a custom ring.

So what is the limit on the size of a ringtone file?

HP Recommended

I found the solution was to convert the WAV file from PCM 16-bit 16000Hz, as it had been shipped, to G.711 8000Hz.  Then it worked.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.