Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Yup, already know the drill; pretty sure I know how to create...

What i'd really like is - are the *original* built-in ringtones available as wav files?  (phone is IP335) I have a situation with internal calls/paging where teachers are used to a specific sound - one of the built-ins - but I need to make it louder (doggone kids!); I'd like to stay with the sound they are used to (but can't hear anymore).

If not available, that's fine; just thought i'd ask.  

thanks

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

school-guy, I was excited to read your post, not because I am looking for the same thing (well, not *exactly* the same thing, at any rate) or have the answer for you, but because in you I have managed to find someone else who has deployed and currently supports Polycom IP phones in a school!  And not just for the administration and staff, but in the actual classrooms, too.

I would love to pick your brain and talk to you sometime about the unique trials and tribulations of supporting these phones in a school environment, as it sounds like you have some experience under your belt already.  I have to support a similar setup as well, for a school that was looking for a way to install a PA system and who also wanted phones in each classroom, and thought, hey: a set of good-quality desktop IP phones could kill two birds with one stone.  The volume issue has proven to be a problem for me, too.  They're using all 335s, and in a handful of the classrooms, even with the handsfree speaker forcibly maxed out, they sometimes cannot hear an incoming intercom (auto-answer) call.  I have thought about simply having Asterisk play a more noticeable alert sound on the channel prior to bridging the audio, but although that would work for one-to-one intercom, it wouldn't work for the Polycom UC multicast paging feature (http://support.polycom.com/global/documents/support/technical/products/voice/Group_Paging_and_PTT_FP... where Asterisk is left completely out of the call path.  If only I could find a way to customize the paging/PTT alert noise on the phones themselves...

Another option would be to hook up a beefier loudspeaker to the problematic phones, and bypass the built-in handsfree speaker.  But there doesn't seem to be a good way to do that, either.  I thought this could be done by hijacking the headset jack, but although I can get that to work for one-to-one intercom calls, the phone still insists on playing back group pages on the handsfree.  Sigh.

I realize I'm taking this thread of yours far afield, but would greatly appreciate any wisdom you might be able to impart to me, and perhaps others in a similar position.

-- Nathan

HP Recommended

I just made a change in ours with the latest available Polycom firmware; I don't know if it made any difference or not (i'm volunteer, so I don't get immediate feedback.)  I will say, volume-wise, I'm very disappointed with Polycom phones ala the "regulatory" settings - when testing phones for this school, i also tested another brand, starts aa....   those had NO problems with volume.  That said, I found some settings in Polycom that seemed to indicate those regulatory settings were not maximums... but i left them at home today.   Regulatory settings for volume... goes along with regulating how hot bath water can be....

The school building we bought was already equipped with a PA system, so I don't have your issues.  But if I had to do this again, i wouldn't use Polycom.   I can't afford Cxxxx (horribly overpriced!!!), but aa.... was right in there.  What I did not like about those was the keypad/user interface - just not as intuitive as polycom.

All of mine go through Asterisk; i don't use the built-in stuff.  That way, i can switch vendors too 😉

The 'loud' wav file Polycom provides essentially maxes things out & clips the signal - but it's not intended to be high quality anyway, just an attention getter.   If i have to go louder, i'll find a unique sound and go the same route - i have little choice.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response!  I, too, find the regulatory volume restrictions somewhat frustrating, if that is indeed what is preventing the handsfree speaker from working to its potential  I was able to force the phones to set the handsfree to maximum volume by default with the option 'voice.gain.rx.digital.chassis.IP_330', but even as max volume it doesn't seem to always be loud enough.  I played around a little with 'voice.gain.rx.analog.chassis.IP_330', but that one didn't seem to make any difference to the perceived volume.

What change did you make on yours that you are not sure made a difference or not yet?

I wish I could have the group paging go through Asterisk, but the Asterisk server in this case simply doesn't have enough hardware oomph to locally bridge 50-some-odd extensions into a MeetMe conference simultaneously.  So I tried out the Polycom multicast paging feature, and it works great EXCEPT for the fact that Asterisk is left out of the loop.

-- Nathan

HP Recommended

I thought it was a persistence setting for the ringer, though for the life of me, i can't find the setting now; the teachers were setting it as loud as possible via the phone keys, but the setting wasn't sticking through a call.

I know I tried the gain settings as well, to no effect... though I don't find them in my config files.  Hummm.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hello all,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The default ringtones are actually a set of synthesized single tones and chords that our DSP can generate.

We configure the sequence of chords in the configuration files by setting frequency, duration, loops, silence, etc and then at boot process, the DSP builds its tone libraries and stores these sequences for later use.

Any changes to the gain parameters should be discussed with Polycom support rather than just experimenting with these.
Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.