Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello CliffB,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I setup my Phone / Provisioning / Download / Upgrade / Update / Downgrade Software?
Resolution: Please check => here <=

The above explains in detail how to setup a local provisioning server.

Usually you simply download the software as explained above and unzip into a directory and point the FTP user towards it (or in your case TFTP Software)

As you mention a file called >mac>.cfg this is something you or whoever looks after your phones must have created or placed there as it would not come with a fresh download.

Mar 08, 2013 QuestionWhat files does my phone download or upload and why?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Have a read of the above for more details.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

OK I fixed it.

I had the idea to change the Base Profile from Generic to Lync and when the phone re-booted after I had saved the change I noticed the SIP.ID download on the TFTP server and evrything worked. This must be a bug as I cant see why this should have any difference which Base Profile you are running.

HP Recommended

Hi Stefa, thanks but see my next post and the fix was to change the base profile seemd to kick it into life.

HP Recommended

And for some more information for anyone starting out for new on these phones when you set the Lync Base Profile the phone restarts with the Web Server disable so if you want to browse to the phone you have to turn on the web browser and set HTTP or HTTPS or both. BUT I still cannot change the Firmware of the phone from the Custom Server setting using a IIS web server I set up. 

HP Recommended

Hello CliffB,

In LYNC Base profile there are certain configuration changes that enable the software to be maintaned and up/downgraded using LYNC.

This would explain why the phone does not look for a provisioning server.

In addition a phone ordered in LYNC SKU uses a different DHCP option (161) than a normal phone (160).

The Web Interface part is well documented in the FAQ and the Release notes:

Jul 11, 2014 Question: Since upgrading to UCS 5.1.1 or later and running LYNC base profile I can no longer access the Web Interface

Resolution: Please check => here <=

I suggest you work with your Polycom reseller for these issues and you can in addition purchase professional service offerings when utilizing these Phones with LYNC if you require help setting these up.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I can confirm that switching to Lync mode will remove what appears to be a blockage of the update request.

I have a phone that was on 5.4.2.0334 and wanted to perpetually downgrade to 5.4.0.1082 when connected to Lync (Office 365 E5).

The trick with lyncDeviceUpdateEnabledOFF.zip didn't work reliably.

When I tried to downgrade through the web ui, I had to click through 3 or 4 popups, then it would just say that the phone has rebooted and cannot be contacted. But the phone did nothing.

5.4.2.0334 didn't really work wity Office 365 and I wanted to downgrade anyway, but it just wouldn't do it.

After a factory reset that got rid of the provisioning server settings it would still not upgrade, but once I switched the base profile to Lync, it rebooted and started the downgrade process.  5.4.0.1082 seems to be the last stable version that works with Office 365 E5.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.