Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've found an odd behavior in a VVX400 phone related with the "reg.x.displayName" parameter.

Although this parameter, as explained in the UCS Administrator Guide, is to be used in the SIP/H323 signaling, when it is configured is being used as the Line Key Label.

Here is the quote for the parameter description from UCS AG:

reg.x.displayName
The display name used in SIP signaling and/or the H.323 alias used as the default caller ID.

The config is not using the reg.x.label parameter so the default "Null" value is used.

reg.x.label
The text label that displays next to the line key for registration x. If Null, the user part of reg.x.address is used.

I was able to consistently replicate this in a VVX400 phone using the following versions: 5.4.0.5841, 5.3.1.0436, 5.3.0.12074 and 5.2.0.8330

There is any reason why this is happening? 

Thanks,

Joao Arruda

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Joao Arruda,

as always the Guides can be wrong or missing additional parameters are the relation between parameters is not highlighted in enough detail.

There is also the reg.1.useTelUriAsLineLabel Parameter which can influence this.

The UC Sofware 5.4.0 Admin Guide for exmaple states:

• If reg.1.useteluriAsLineLabel=1, then the tel URI/phone number/address displays as the label.

• If reg.1.useteluriAsLineLabel=0, then the value for reg.x.displayName, if available, displays as the label. If reg.x.displayName is unavailable, the user part of reg.x.address is used.

I believe either the Guide or the default Parameter is wrongly documented or set as I can only assume reg.1.useteluriAsLineLabel="1" is the Standard Value but I see the Display Name as the Line Key label.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Joao Arruda

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

Have you yet contacted your Polycom reseller as advised => here <= ?.

Also are you using a SIP server or a LYNC server?

I am not sure I can follow this post so could you kindly explain what you are trying to do and how this is not working ?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Steffen,

Whenever I found an unexpected behavior in the Polycom SPIP or VVXs phones or UCS (or at least something that don't seems to be working as explained in the Polycom documentation), I first try to post it here to see if there is any tip, explanation or comments from the "community".

I'm willing to "contact your Polycom reseller as advised" if its clear that what I'm asking about is a "feature request" or some "not yet identified bug" that need to have a technical case raised with Polycom.

Anyway, here is what i'm trying to do:

- VVX400 phone, running  (5.4.0.5841 or 5.3.1.0436 or 5.3.0.12074 or 5.2.0.8330), receiving its configuration by a provisioning server.

- Open SIP deployment

The phone receives the following configuration (I'm pasting here just the ones related to reg.1):

reg.1.address="1234" 
reg.1.auth.userId="1234" 
reg.1.auth.password="passwordhere" 
reg.1.displayName="Test Name" 
reg.1.ringType="ringer2"

Based in the information available in the UCS Administrator Guide (quoted above) I expect that the reg.1 line label show "1234" (since I'm not using the reg.1.label parameter and thus the "the user part of reg.x.address is to be used")

But this is not the behavior with the VVX400 in any of UCS versions above. The reg.1 line label shows "Test Name" (the value of reg.1.displayName) which don't make much sense since the UCS Administrator Guide (quoted above) says that this parameter is related with "SIP signaling and/or the H.323 alias used as the default caller ID".

I have hundreds of SPIP (650 or 335) phones running UCS 4.0.9 (or any of the previous versions) and they follows the expected behavior as explained in the UCS Administrator Guide.

Hope that clear out my question.

Joao Arruda

HP Recommended

Hello Joao Arruda,

as always the Guides can be wrong or missing additional parameters are the relation between parameters is not highlighted in enough detail.

There is also the reg.1.useTelUriAsLineLabel Parameter which can influence this.

The UC Sofware 5.4.0 Admin Guide for exmaple states:

• If reg.1.useteluriAsLineLabel=1, then the tel URI/phone number/address displays as the label.

• If reg.1.useteluriAsLineLabel=0, then the value for reg.x.displayName, if available, displays as the label. If reg.x.displayName is unavailable, the user part of reg.x.address is used.

I believe either the Guide or the default Parameter is wrongly documented or set as I can only assume reg.1.useteluriAsLineLabel="1" is the Standard Value but I see the Display Name as the Line Key label.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

Thanks for pointing to this parameter.

It is really not included neither in the UCS 5.2.0 or 5.3.0 admin guides althought they are valid for these versions.

Seems that the default value is reg.1.useteluriAsLineLabel=1

Changing the value to 0 makes the VVX behaves same as the SPIP.

Regards,

João Arruda

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.