Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I was wondering if there is anyway to be able to mass update all of my polycom vvx 410 and 411 phones?  I noticed that are phones are using very old firmware, 5.5.x.x and I was testing out a new phone system, with a zero-touch configuration model, but the only way to do that was to have the firmware updated, so is there a utility or way to set that up?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @commalliance ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

Not knowing how they are provisioned at present I suggest you look at the following post from our FAQ:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I setup my Phone / Provisioning / Download / Upgrade / Update / Downgrade Software?
Resolution: Please check => here <=

A provisioning server and the DHCP option and rebooting all phones.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi there,

Thank you for the reply.  They are provisioned from our VOIP service Nextiva, but we are testing out s couple other vendors, but noticed our phones are all on firmware 5.5.x.x, and we can log into the web interface of the phones to check for updates and select them from the update server, but i was trying to find a way to make the phones update automatically without and intervention.  Is that possible at all?

HP Recommended

Hello @commalliance ,

Nextiva would be the ones who could update all the phones.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

update automatically without and intervention

Have a look at your phones whether device.prov.upgradeServer is set: Phone → Menu → Settings → Advanced → Administration → Network → Provisioning → Upgrade Server. If that is not a HTTPs but a HTTP URL, you are able to overwrite it – via your local DNS server redirect the domain to an IP address of yours. There, place the version of the sip.ld you want.

If that is not set, you have to overwrite the device.prov.serverName: It is at the same location but called Provisioning Server. If that is not a HTTPs but a HTTP URL, you are able to overwrite it the same way you would have done it with the Upgrade Server. However, with the Provisioning Server, you have to place the master configuration file 000000000000.cfg on your server. The latest firmware downloads contains an example.

If the Provisioning Server is set and it is HTTPs, you have to change your DHCP server to send the option, your phone is looking for: device.dhcp.bootSrvUseOpt. On default, this is option 160, a URL … If you have a phone which is not openSIP but Lync (Skype for Business; SfB) out of the box, it looks for option 161. However, that setting might be overridden to ‘static’ which disables DHCP as provisioning source. Then, you are lost, and you have to touch each phone.

However, however, as Steffen mentioned, the one who provisions your phones normally should also do the software updates. They test the latest update whether everything works and give clearance. If they do not provide the latest software, either they have not tested, found a blocker, or your contract does not include such testing.

By the way, if your Upgrade Server is set, and it points to the Poly Downloads servers already, you are in the same boat as I am. I am looking for a way to update always to the latest software/firmware without a Provisioning Server, without setting up my own Upgrade Server. Unfortunately, I have not found such a URL path. All this would be easier, if Poly also provided a separate version, not a specific version for each software branch but an ‘always latest’ version.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.