Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

How do you upload a ringtone to a soundpoint 450?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello bob122 ,

please see my reply in your other post => here <=

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Oct 25, 2011 Question: How can I change my Ringtone or Ring in a special manner for a certain incoming call?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Please ensure you always check the community FAQ and/or utilize the community search before posting any new topics or follow up post’s.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

The link you provided does not give any details on how to upload a ringtone - can anyone else help?

HP Recommended

Hello bob122 ,

Example 4 in above linked post clearly shows how you do this via the Web Interface. Please ensure you follow up my previous replies and post your currently used software version.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I saw example 4, but that appears to be for a different phone - The web portal on my phone does not have preferences/ringtones menu option. Since this is a new phone, presumably it has all the latest software on it - or do you sell phones with out of date firmware?

Phone Model SoundPoint IP 450 Part Number 2345-12450-001 Rev. B MAC Address 00:04:F2:47:1C:C7 IP Address 192.168.1.142 SIP Software Version 3.3.3.0094 BootROM Software Version 4.3.1.0440

HP Recommended

Hello bob122 ,,

I would not call this a new Phone as it was sold / shipped back in October 2012.

It may have been on a shelf for a while with your reseller.

Polycom periodically updates the shipping configurations of our phones in order to enable our partners to keep their platforms up to date. More details can be found in the Product Shipping Configuration Change Notice => here <=

Please upgrade your Phone to the UCS 4.0.7 version as only from UCS 4.0.0 onwards the upload of a external sound file is supported. 

Older Versions can follow as documented in the FAQ post:

The Feature Descriptions & Technical Notifications page holds a guide => here <= on how to load a custom Ring Tone for environments that need a louder ring tone.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Hi,

@bob122 wrote:

Since this is a new phone, presumably it has all the latest software on it - or do you sell phones with out of date firmware?

Actually, obviously, Polycom _does_ sell phones with old firmware and the customer is expected to upgrade their phones if support is needed.

See the Software Release Matrix, have a look at the Legend and search for the Current Shipping Configuration: http://downloads.polycom.com/voice/voip/sip_sw_releases_matrix.html

Kind regards,

Reeth4Ku

HP Recommended

Hello Reth4Ku,

as already explained to yourself in detail => here <= we need to carefully plan what software is shipped for each separate device.

Some of our partners in the field purchase tens of thousands of phones and would not like us to ship with a newer software that may not be tested or compatible with their infrastructure.

If this user wants to use certain aspects of newer software he simply needs to upgrade the phone in question. The phone itself with the delivered software will work as it should.

Many other popular devices like mobile phones or similar will be sold with older software and the end user simply upgrades these if they require newer features.

In the above case the phone was shipped back in 2012 so the software will be “older” than what currently is shipped. The above linked Product Shipping Configuration Change Notice contains in detail what the currently shipped software is.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Hi,

@SteffenBaierUK wrote:

Hello Reth4Ku,

as already explained to yourself in detail => here <= we need to carefully plan what software is shipped for each separate device.

Some of our partners in the field purchase tens of thousands of phones and would not like us to ship with a newer software that may not be tested or compatible with their infrastructure.

The partners purchasing tens of thousands of phones will likely have an infrastructure to provision their phones with the old software they have tested thoroughly if they want to do that.

Nevertheless, that is not the point. Fact is, you're selling current phones with old software as documented in the Software Release Matrix. Why you are doing that is not relevant for the questio if you do it and it may indeed be the way to go for Polycom.

Kind regards,

Reth4Ku

HP Recommended

Hello Reth4Ku,

I would have liked to keep this discussion around the actual topic and not why Polycom ships Phones with a certain Software.

In order to hopefully finish the software version discussion this specific phone in this topic was sold back in 2012 so nearly two years ago.

It is therefore impossible to have any current software installed.

Like any other hardware manufacturer software is developed and enhanced all the time.

A device like a printer for example will also ship with an outdated driver disc as transporting the devices to their final destination is time consuming and they may end up stored at a reseller for some time until sold to an end user. The printer will still work with the old drivers but new ones maybe fix issue or add new features.

The SIP release matrix is simply an overview of the compatibility but does not dictate that we will ship a device with the latest firmware.

The reason why we are shipping phones is very relevant and has been explained in detail. You cannot just assume that our partners have the physical infrastructure in place to upgrade / downgrade hundreds of phones at the same time.

As an example a small branch with 10 Phones would take up to 2 hours if the Internet is only a 1MB connection. This would render the phones unusable and some may need to be restarted manually to trigger the download of the software again.

We can simply not risk this in the field.

To capture what has been discussed:

•          Polycom ships Phones with a working software version that suits most Users and partners.

As an End Customer you may be required to either upgrade or downgrade the software in order to suit your own requirements.

I hope the above contains enough detail to finally finish this off topic conversation.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.