Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

How does one gain access to add hosts to the zero touch config server that Polycom has set up?  Do I have to be a billion dollar mega-corp to be able to make use of this useful feature?   

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello Luckman,

Information on ZTP will be released once this feature has been officially launched.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

OK thanks, any info on when this will be officially launched then?  I see there's already a link to "Zero Touch Provisioning" under the Customer Management section at http://support.polycom.com/PolycomService/home/home.htm   but it requires some sort of privilege that I do not possess.

HP Recommended

Hello Luckman,

once I have the Information I will post it here. I cannot be more precise than this.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello Luckman,

Zero Touch provisioning is a cloud-based service that will be offered by Polycom to partners (service providers and channel partners) to make it easier to deploy VoIP Phones.

End Customers will not be able to access this system.

It is planned to launch the Facility within this month and you will need to liaise with your Reseller to add your Phones within the Platform.

The Phones need to run at least UCS 3.3.2 in order to support ZTP.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.  Not quite sure I understand the model here.   So let's say I am the owner of ACME Phone Support Co, and I recommend Polycom products to my customer.  They buy the phones from MegaInternetPhoneWarehouse.com or whatever and the phones are delivered to the customer.   Now it's my job to go to their site, copy down all the MAC addresses off the phones, and then I have to call MegaInternetPhoneWarehouse and somehow convince them to enter all that into this "cloud service" so that the phones can be provisioned with ZTP?   Sure seems like a lot of barriers to knock down just to use this feature.  Also I am pretty sure no customer is going to want to pay for me wasting my time doing that either.  Nor would they be capable of doing it themselves.  So it just won't happen.

I can't imagine MegaInternetPhoneWarehouse wanting to waste any time on managing this after they've already made the sale, and I also can't see myself spending too much time trying to track down whether they've entered the info or not, or done it correctly etc.   Just too many players involved and not enough incentive for anyone to do anything vs. the time involved.

Why not just let us enter this ourselves?  It would be 10x easier for me to just go there with my barcode scanner, swipe all the phones into an excel sheet and upload them, would take 10 minutes maybe vs. days, weeks or never getting done at all.  Unless I am missing something in my understanding of how this is supposed to work?

I know this feature was probably targeted at GiantMegaConsultingCorp who are Polycom resellers and able to sell the phones, and pre-provision them before a large rollout, and maybe it will be useful to companies like that.  But I would assume if you are selling into that vertical (large enterprise customer) that it would just be easier to have their IT staff put the Option66 into the DHCP server and be done with it (old fashioned way) and I would imagine a large sale/install like that you would be interfacing with their IT dept anyway.

The real winner (at least I thought) for ZTP was going to be the small to medium sized customers -- anywhere from 5-25 seats who don't have their own IT staff or maybe don't have the resources to set up a local DHCP server for Option66 provisioning.  Being able to have them buy phones, pop them out of the box and plug them in and "just work" is a great concept for these small customers.  But alas, it looks like that dream is not a reality.

HP Recommended

Hello Luckman,

ZTP is not a replacement for Provisioning and the implementation should enable a warehouse to ship a specific Phone to an End User without access to a DHCP Scope (SoHo Router) to just plug their phone into the Network and the Phone will connect to the ZTP Server and will download a basic configuration with Provisioning Details for a SMB Provider.

The Business model may not suit your personal needs but is what currently will be implemented once launched.

I can only recommend to work with your reseller to establish a relationship into Polycom in order to possibly enable you to participate in ZTP depending on the size of your business opportunity.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.