Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I'm happy to see the new release of Polycom UC Software 4.0.5

I'm hoping the enhancements we've been waiting for sometime are now included.

I have attempted to configure and use Group pickup and directed call pickup and I could possibly be doing something wrong but I think this new update still does not resolve the issue for Asterisk PBX using Polycom 650.

Just a quick note if I pick a line and dial manually *8 to do a group pickup it works. Just when I use to soft key <Pickup> than <Group> I get a fast busy signal. My asterisk box does not show any data being received from the phone. Same goes with I use directed call pickup and enter the extension I still receive a fast busy signal.

For a quick reference I have these lines enabled features.cfg file

<feature.directedCallPickup feature.directedCallPickup.enabled="1"></feature.directedCallPickup>
<feature.groupCallPickup feature.groupCallPickup.enabled="1"></feature.groupCallPickup>
<feature.urlDialing feature.urlDialing.enabled="0"></feature.urlDialing>
<feature.enhancedFeatureKeys feature.enhancedFeatureKeys.enabled="1"></feature.enhancedFeatureKeys>
*sip-interop.cfg
call.directedCallPickupMethod="legacy" call.directedCallPickupString="*8"
voIpProt.SIP.useCompleteUriForRetrieve="1"
voIpProt.SIP.useLocalTargetUriForLegacyPickup="1"

Some backgroup I'm running ...
Polycom IP 650 phones with Version 4.0.5.4233 Updated 5.0.5.2324
Asterisk 1.8.11 cert 4

Any suggestions or ideas let me know.....

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I did a debug on the phone.... not sure if this shows why it does not work.

1st File grouppickupdidntwork.txt (This file shows the debug of when I pressed the pickup button than the group)

2nd File grouppickupworkedmanually.txt (This file shows the debug of when I dial *8 to perform the group pickup manually and it worked)

HP Recommended

Hello surgemorales,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

You are mentioning enhancements you are waiting for but have not actually specified what these enhancements are or if you had raised these via your Polycom reseller as advised in some of your earlier post's.

Parameters used in your example configurations:

feature.groupCallPickup.enabled="1"

Above parameter usage states on Page 127 in the UCS 4.0.2 Admin Guide as follows:

This feature enables you to pick up incoming calls to any phone within a predefined group of phones, without dialing the extension of another phone. The parameter to enable this feature is shown in Table 5-27: Enabling Group Call Pickup. This feature requires support from a SIP server and setup of this feature depends on the SIP server.

Using the above sends a SUBSCRIBE to the SIP Server via sip:groupcallpickup@192.168.2.50.

The Asterisk Server does not support this method and therefore finally replies with a 404 Not Found (Page 5 and 6 in your attached document)

For the above the support would need to be implemented in the Astersik source code and you would require to speak to Digium or the Asterisk Community. 

call.directedCallPickupMethod="legacy"

Above parameter usage states on Page 405 in the UCS 4.0.2 Admin Guide as follows:

Specifies how the phone will perform a directed call pick-up from a BLF contact. native indicates the phone will use a native protocol method (in this case SIP INVITE with the Replaces header). legacy indicates the phone will use the method specified in call.directedCallPickupString.

As explained in above paragraph this is only used for BLF / Busy Lamp Field and therefore will only send the defined string in an INVITE if a ringing BLF contact defined on the phone is pressed.

The BLF functionality for Asterisk is described in detail in the VoIP FAQ post => here <=

In regards of:

voIpProt.SIP.useCompleteUriForRetrieve="1"

Above standard value, as documented on Page 405 in the UCS 4.0.2 Admin Guide 542, is already set to 1 as a factory default. 

As an example I had already described the usage of this parameter => here <=. This is used in BLF scenarios.

The last parameter

voIpProt.SIP.useLocalTargetUriForLegacyPickup="1"

Above standard value, as documented on Page 542 in the UCS 4.0.2 Admin Guide 542, is already set to 1 as a factory default. 

Again this is a BLF related Parameter.

The above linked BLF FAQ post shows in the troubelshooting part that the messaging / dialog coming from Asterisk is quite limited and therefore the user experience in comparison with other SIP servers may be limited.

Please ensure to provide some feedback on this and your older post's if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

SteffenBaierUK - I'm lost here and more confused than ever...... 

I got my asterisk box to groupcallpickup instead of *8 for group pickup.

So to test it I created a softkey [pickup] that sends the "groupcallpickup" to my asterisk box. Sure enough I call extension 003 from my extension000 and than on extension 002 press the key [pickup] and bam it works I pickup the call without an issue. I attached the file.

So now I edit the configuration file and enable feature.groupCallPickup.enabled=1 and initiate a call to extension 003 from my extension 000 and than on extension 002, I open a line press the "Pickup" key than "Group" key and I get a busy signal and attach is the detail of that......

So what's going on now ....

HP Recommended

Hello surgemorales,

I provided the details in my initial reply.

These are two different functionalities.

feature.groupCallPickup.enabled="1"

Above functionality needs the support of the SIP server. This functionality, as described in my prior reply and detailed in the Admin Guide SUBSCRIBES to this service.

Most likely this is not a feature that Asterisk supports and therefore will not work.

I already highlighted this and pointed this out looking at your old log and the new notworking-groupcallpickupwonboardfunction.docx also shows this.

The Phone tries to SUBSCRIBE and then receives a 401 first and then a 404.

Our Phone expects a NOTIFY message.

You will need to liaise with the Asterisk Community on this.

call.directedCallPickupMethod="legacy"

Above is what a BLF would use to pickup the call using Asterisk as shown => here <=.

In your case, if you would have setup a BLF to monitor extensions, the Phone would send an INVITE including the defined

call.directedCallPickupString

As a standard on our Phones this is *97 and the information about the Extension that is being called is gathered from the NOTIFY send by the server.

As the format that Asterisk uses does not conform with what the Polycom phone expects we only send the *97 or in your case the *8 as we are unaware of the exact extension we should pick up.

If above is still unclear then as a short non technical answer:

• Group Call Pickup will not work as Asterisk does not support the functionality

• Directed Call Pickup will work as we simply send an INVITE to the defined string.

If multiple phones ring at the same time our Phone will not be able to include the extension of the call that you want to pick up as Asterisk does not provide the relevant Information.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.