Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

This has been bugging me for a long time, so I thought I'd ask here as a thread on the old Voxzilla forums has gone un-answered for years.  http://forum.voxilla.com/polycom-support-forum/notify-wakes-display-stop-34157.html

Basically the problem (still exists on UCS 3.3.4 but I have not tested w/ 4.0.1 - I assume it is still not "fixed") is that if a phone is configured to dim or darken its backlit display during IDLE state, when it receives an MWI update from the call server (Asterisk 1.8 in my case) this message causes the phone to "wake up" and illuminate it's display to the full "on" brightness level.  After some time (up.idleTimeout) it will dim down again, only to be woken up again in an endless cycle until the voicemails are retreived.

This may seem like just a minor annoyance/distraction but if you happen to have a phone in a bedroom or something it can be annoying to have the display constantly lighting up all the time day & night.

Can this be fixed somehow either via a config option I don't know about or a fix in the firmware if this is an actual bug?

thank you

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello Luckman,

the correct way to highlight an discrepancy, if it is really a bug, is to open a ticket with Polycom Global Services via your reseller.

The correct way to change the standard behavior of any current software is to submit a feature request via => here <= and provide a applicable business case.

The SoundPoint IP Voice Desktop solutions may have not been planned to end up in a bedroom and therefore some of the Features are working as designed.

Please follow up via the Feature Request as I would not class this as a bug.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thank you for the advice but my reseller will not open tickets for me.  And I disagree with you about not classifying this as a bug.  Regardless of the location of the phone (boardroom, conference room, bedroom, bathroom, etc) the fact is that the phone constantly dimming and brightening it's display, combined with the flashing red LED is just very distracting.  Most other manufacturers simply illuminate the MWI light and leave it solid ON.  This is adequate and non-intrusive.  It should at least be an option.  

And the display should only light up in these 3 cases:

-a call is being received

-an instant-message has arrived

-the user presses a button

There is no use-case I can see for having the display illuminate during a normal registration attempt or MWI SIP NOTIFY protocol message.  Can anyone else agree or disagree with me? 

HP Recommended

Hello Luckman,

as explained above please raise this as a feature request.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thank you, I have opened https://jira.polycom.com/browse/EXT-4706

HP Recommended
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Seriously annoying. Bedroom, darkened boardroom during a presentation, or just on a desk there is no reason for this to happen.
HP Recommended

Well it's been a few months since I opened up the ticket -- no evidence so far of any progress towards a fix. Not giving up hope yet though!  Maybe in UC 4.0.2 ??

HP Recommended

Hello both,

this is the current behavior and raising this as a feature request does not automatically guarantee that this change will be added to a future software release.

Usually these kind of requests should be worked via a Polycom Reseller using a Polycom Systems Engineer to create a business case to justify the change within the software.

I will highlight this case to the Product Management in addition.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

I appreciate the issue being brought to the attention of the Product Manager.  

But this raises a few questions:

1) what was the "business case" for the display continuously lighting up and then dimming back down in an endless loop?

2) who had laid eyes on the feature request before you brought it to the attention of the PM?  or did it go into a void/black hole?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.